Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#41 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:20 pm

Few shots of the completed work.
Lessons learned:
Chucks flanges make the job pretty straight forward as the curves and flanges are spot on

Get the chrome bezel correctly aligned 1st and mark for holes and go from there. The flange location is not critical and the rubber seals and plexi lenses are pretty forgiving

I didn't try with the glass lenses. I had a pair but it was another degree of difficulty and precision as they have zero give.

I used self tapping screws through the panels for fixing the chrome bezels. That's going to have a limited life. Especially for the 2 screws at the top where there is only one layer of metal. All suggestions welcome. Some kind of Rivnut?

Mig tacks on the flange edges worked fine. Chuck suggests just using existing rivet holes but not enough of them for my liking.

I joined the flanges top and bottom. maybe it will help keep the water out. Or maybe it will just pour through the sides of the bezels instead!

Happy to help with advice etc.
Signing off now.
Cheers
Eddie

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

keithmac
Canada

#42 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by keithmac » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:19 pm

Looks great Ed, nice work. Thanks for the additional tips. I note that series one headlight dishes do not seem to available at this time so series two 's will have to be modified. My headlight bulkheads are in ( great panels but fettling required due to bonnet variations ) sugar scoops pre fitted and headlight assemblies built up. Small bonnet chrome strip slot hack sawed open. Self tapping phillips SS screws finally found on Amazon ( had to order an assorted kit to get the size I need )
Still waiting on chrome bezels and rubber seal parts ( three months now , covid delayed )

1967 S1.25 OTS, 1952 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#43 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:22 pm

Looking great Keith.
I'm amazed you can't get the correct headlight dishes.
Did you manage to source the correct headlights with the shallow backs? I used the standard ones but its a bit of a bodge with bending the bulb pins at the back and losing the plug.

Be great to add any progress images here or a separate post and compare notes and approach etc.

Cheers
Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#44 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:23 pm

Looking great Keith.
I'm amazed you can't get the correct headlight dishes.
Did you manage to source the correct headlights with the shallow backs? I used the standard ones but its a bit of a bodge with bending the bulb pins at the back and losing the plug.

Be great to add any progress images here or a separate post and compare notes and approach etc.

Cheers
Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

keithmac
Canada

#45 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by keithmac » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:41 pm

One down , one to go. This has not been a breeze. The parts from Monocoque metal works are fine. However the chrome surround, PTE lens , rubber lens seal and bonnet require MUCH fettling to agree with each other . Including grinding the PTE lens to fit the chrome surround.All before the heart stopping step of drilling holes in the bonnet with little margin for error. As you can see though the results of triple the expected time and effort are very good. Here's hoping the left side goes faster ( I am sure it will ) Just about the time I get good at this , I will never have to do it again !
Cheers all and thanks to Ed for his great photos and help.

1967 S1.25 OTS, 1952 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#46 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by Simonpfhc » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:16 am

Hi Eddie,

Firstly, thanks for posting so much info of this conversion, it really helped!

Secondly, I’ve just finished this conversion myself and went went very smoothly. With regards to attaching the chrome rims, I used Rivnuts which work perfectly.

I must say, the conversion flanges Chuck @MMW supplied (like all his panels) were beautifully made and fit like a glove!

Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#47 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:06 pm

Hi Simon,
Looks great. Glad I could help. Rivnuts look like a great permanent solution.
I ditched the front sissy bar and the car looks good enough to run for a couple of years.

Its back in storage so I couldn't resist a quick detour in recommissioning a 69 Commando.
You can get a real shift on compared to a Jag.

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic