engine E type 3.8 value

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Ruurd Schut
Netherlands

#1 engine E type 3.8 value

Post by Ruurd Schut » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:19 pm

I am the owner of an early series 1 DOHC, currently with a MK10 engine with E type carter etc.
The engine had an extensive rebuild, last year the valves have been adjusted. Strong engine, healthy oil pressure.

I am offered a complete e type engine 3.8 (1963) with 3x SU's, Moss box etc. No clue about the condition but impression is good. Still no matching numbers but would this improve the value of the car significantly ?
It would cost me net about 8k EUR taking into consideration costs for the engine, a rebuild and sales of complete carburettor set 3.8 triple SU's with manifold etc. and complete healthy MK10 engine with box.
I estimate the complete SU set on 2.500 EUR and complete MK10 with box 5k EUR

Looking forward to your comments !
Thanks,
Ruurd

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: engine E type 3.8 value

Post by Gfhug » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:39 am

Ruurd, a set of correct overhauled triple SUs for an E Type will cost over £3500 or maybe even more, if that helps you value items

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: engine E type 3.8 value

Post by mgcjag » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 am

Ruurd....you currently have a non match numbered car.....even fitting an E engine it will still be "non matching"..in my opinion it will not be "considerably " more valuable. .......the money is in the early matching cars.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: engine E type 3.8 value

Post by chrisfell » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:59 am

Matching numbers, that holiest of grails, matters little to those of us whose E-Types have unmatched components. Mine has a date correct, but model incorrect engine. The original engine is, presumably, doing service as a boat anchor, I imagine after some indiscretion with service intervals or rev limits. Or both. None of the POs I have contacted know when the engine was changed. It does look like it should, 9:1 pistons, three carbs correct manifold. But the car also displays other signs of a hard life. It current wears S2 front uprights and TBs, Again the date and cause of this change is unknown.

The rust is mostly original.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic