3.07 ring play on carrier

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
sunday
France

#1 3.07 ring play on carrier

Post by sunday » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am

Hi, as i say in my presentation, i am in the long process of the rebuild of an old DAX Tojeiro which has many parts common to jaguar E-Type. According to my research my dif is a 61-63 E-Type powerlock dif. This dif has a 3.54 ratio and i want a 3.07 ratio (Here in France, sourcing another dif with good ratio or find a "good" jag rebuild shop is not easy at all). As i work in mecanics and have a mecanical workshop at home i decided to do the stuff myself.
My diff was mounted in 3.54 so 3.07 is in the same case / diff carrier height range. I've ordered a Dana44 motive gear ring and pinion knowing that the "minimal" stuff will be shouldered 7/16>3/8 bolts and new input flange (not a concern as new driveshaft to made).
All fits but i note that ring gear has 0.0015" of lateral play on the carrier pilot. Dana 44 carrier ring centering pilot is 5"5625 to 5"5640 (Auburn diff information). My Salisbury carrier pilot diameter was precisely measured to 5"563 with a micrometer so is in range of the Dana 44 spec.
In normal situation the ring is mounted tight on tha carrier (which was the case od the old 3.54 ring) so i am wondering if some of you have same experience with Dana 44 gear on a Salisbury powerlock carrier or do you think it's a bad gear ?

Thanks for reading, have a good day.

Stéphane.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: 3.07 ring play on carrier

Post by mgcjag » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:25 am

Hi....welcom to the forum....unfortunatly i know very little on tne Dana 44 ..however picked this up on a quick search.......Standard 8.5" Dana 44 ring and pinion gear can be used in the IRS model through the use of a special installation kit which includes special shouldered bolts to mount the standard ring gear to the IRS carrier and a special pinion bearing set to fit the standard pinion shaft to the IRS housing........I think i remember shims being required........there is plenty of info on Jaglovers US forum where the Dana 44 is a common conversion......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: 3.07 ring play on carrier

Post by Gfhug » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:18 pm

As an aside it’s fun to see someone in France having to become conversant with proper, imperial measurements :bigrin:

Stephane, welcome to the forum. Post a photo or two of your car and good luck with sorting out problems

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#4 Re: 3.07 ring play on carrier

Post by lowact » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:41 am

G'day Stephane. I note that your variation in the range of carrier pilot diameters is coincidentally also 0.0015" so perhaps what you have is good enough?

Side note, SNGB sell Salisbury 3.07 crown wheel and pinion sets for S1's, made by Quaife. I've just put one in my S3, haven't driven it yet.
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
sunday
France

#5 Re: 3.07 ring play on carrier

Post by sunday » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:54 am

Thanks for your replies.
I have tried to contact Motive gear for ring hole spec with no success.
Another ring manufacturer (Richmond gear) give me the Dana 44 ring hole diameter to be in the 5"563 to 5"564 so i came to the conclusion that, with a pilot spec in the 5"625 to 5"564 (Auburn spec) some carrier / ring pairs have tight fit while other could have a very very little play (remeasured to 0"0012 in my case).
I notice also that old ring has a different manufacturing process ie a different cut process of the teeths and that the centering hole is "rectified" : it could explain that old process could be more precise to obtain tight fit while new process has more variations.
In my case, if i sligthly oil the parts, the play is no more noticeable at all. I have bolt the ring on the carrier and verified the radial runout which is below Dana specifications so i guess the setup is ok. If i order another ring i guess i could have same "issue" so my goal is to mount ring with a little touch of loctite radially applied on the centering diameters (not on the mounting surface althought i remember to have read that some guys do it !).

Thanks for reading, have a good day.
Stéphane.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Doug Buchan
United States of America

#6 Re: 3.07 ring play on carrier

Post by Doug Buchan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Hello,
In addition to the crown wheel bolt issue, the Dana 44 requires a special companion flange for the pinion or the use of an open yoke.
The better solution imo, albeit more expensive, is to purchase a new 3.07 ring and pinion from Quaife as none of the aforementioned issues will be present.

Regards,
Doug
Doug
'67 ots

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic