Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#1 Air inlet trumpet Length

Post by Carajas » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi

Am wondering if someone can help pls ?

I am well into the restoration of my 1961 Flat Floor car and have come across the following

The bottom inlet hole in the air intake box on my 3.8L car is off center of the air filter canister by around 20mm. So it appears either the trumpet length is too long or, the inlet in the fibre-glass airbox is incorrected located

I am not sure if either the trumpet piece or the airbox item is original - so I guess it could be either in error and I need eliminate one of the two possibilities

Can I ask pls if someone with a 3.8L car can confirm the length of their trumpets. Pls note mine measure approx 80mm as per the pic attached

With the above information I hope to be able pin-point the problem to the trumpet length or dimensions of the airbox construction

Thanks

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#2 Re: Air inlet trumpet Length

Post by Allrand » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Just checked mine, 80mm is corect and surprised to see that mine is also about 20mm off centre, but it doesn't seem to be a problem as the bellows like seal accommodates that easily.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#3 Re: Air inlet trumpet Length

Post by Carajas » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:31 am

Hi Randall,

thankyou for confirming the length of your trumpets -- is very interesting to note that your air intake is also 20mm off center -- is hard to imagine that Jaguar did not design this anomaly out overtime

I will order a new seal and assume this will accommodate the offset as you describe

( if I ever decide to address the offset I think I would move the inlet hole in the airbox 20mm closer to the trumpets as opposed to reducing the length of the trumpets )

Thanks again Randall and best regards for 2022

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#4 Re: Air inlet trumpet Length

Post by Allrand » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:00 am

Thanks Carajas, do you have another name? On reflection one could possibly bend the bracket that attaches to the outer sill extension slightly outwards, that would tilt the top of the canaster away from the engine.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#5 Re: Air inlet trumpet Length

Post by Carajas » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi Randall,

My name is Tony - sorry for not signing off properly in my last post

Will keep your latest idea in mind going forward

I am hoping the new silicone seal will suffice for now since you tell me yours is offset also -- so am happy live with it -- for now anyways

I have a lot of (more important) work to do -- I aim to get the car to a roadworthy condition before end 2022

I am not focusing on cosmetics right now

So aim revert to this air intake offset misalignment issue in the post roadworthy stage of the restoration

If you are happy share a phone number - I would be very interested in speaking more about this and hearing about your Jaguars ?

Cheers

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#6 Re: Air inlet trumpet Length

Post by Allrand » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm

Hi Tony,

Sure thing, I sent you a private e-mail.
It would be nice if you added an Avatar to your profile and a signature with your name and what car(s) you have in the signature area.

Regards
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic