Clayton heater upgrade

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
vipergts
Great Britain

#1 Clayton heater upgrade

Post by vipergts » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:31 pm

So I’ve decided to use my E in all weather rain or shine because, well you’re a long time dead and I am soooooo bored of waiting for the summer this year that never happened.

Anyway
Heater needs to heat and blow.

Stripped down to fit the new Clayton kit and discovered that I already have a new element fitted

Thing is, the new Clayton jobbie is less than half the size of the old one. What’s the benefit of a slimmer one, will it produce more concentrated heat?
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hpage66
United States of America

#2 Re: Clayton heater upgrade

Post by hpage66 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:25 pm

Just installed the Clayton upgrade (https://claytonclassics.co.uk/parts-upg ... rs/jaguar/) in my series II. Indeed, the new heater core is indeed much slimmer, was not an exact fit but with some adhesive closed cell foam weather stripping tape and plumbers putty from the Home Depot, I was able to install it with no issues. Most importantly, the pipes are correctly located!

The motor did not fit correctly, the two mounting holes needed to be slightly enlarged. Note (in my negative ground Series II) the black wire is the positive and the orange wire the ground! Wire it opposite and it produces significantly less air velocity. Ask me how I know!

Also, since the pipes behind the dash leak, ran heater hose around the engine compartment complete with a control valve also from the home depot. Not stock but works great.

In summary, the heater now blasts hot air and I'm happy with the kit.

Regards,

Howard
1970 baby blue Series II OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic