#1 Series 1 2+2 Low oil pressure
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:29 pm
My car has undergone a full restoration but due to the last restorer going into liquidation I transferred the car at short notice to another specialist and they provided an extensive report of items requiring attention prior to completion.
Most of the list consists of incorrect bolts, missing washers, missing parts on carbs etc. Basically everything needs going through prior to the MOT.
The most worrying item however is a report of low oil pressure on a freshly built engine. When warm the engine is down to 10lbs at idle. They also reported some foaming apparent on the dipstick. There is some sign of water leaking overboard as they put it but there is no evidence in the oil of this. This may be down to insufficient torqueing of the head or bedding in as the water level is steady. The car has never been road tested as the front brakes require completing and the servo pipes appear to be around the wrong way sucking in air.
I am going to endeavour to try and find the root of the low pressure and appreciate that at the extreme this may mean the engine coming out.
I am just looking for some help on what I could try first and it what order just in case it turns out to be a simple fix.
Also can anyone advise on an accurate gauge to use during my investigations.
Many thanks
Chris
Most of the list consists of incorrect bolts, missing washers, missing parts on carbs etc. Basically everything needs going through prior to the MOT.
The most worrying item however is a report of low oil pressure on a freshly built engine. When warm the engine is down to 10lbs at idle. They also reported some foaming apparent on the dipstick. There is some sign of water leaking overboard as they put it but there is no evidence in the oil of this. This may be down to insufficient torqueing of the head or bedding in as the water level is steady. The car has never been road tested as the front brakes require completing and the servo pipes appear to be around the wrong way sucking in air.
I am going to endeavour to try and find the root of the low pressure and appreciate that at the extreme this may mean the engine coming out.
I am just looking for some help on what I could try first and it what order just in case it turns out to be a simple fix.
Also can anyone advise on an accurate gauge to use during my investigations.
Many thanks
Chris