Headlights relay

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
manolo_type_e
Italy

#1 Headlights relay

Post by manolo_type_e » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:17 am

Hi, I'm a new member of this forum and thank you for welcoming me. I have an e-Type 3800 Roadster from 1962. I write from Italy. I need your help because suddenly my low headlights stopped working. We have checked the headlights and both work, the 3 positions lighting switch works perfect, the cables are all connected, the fuses are all healthy, the dip/main switch works properly. I would like to know if there is some hidden relays on the first series that I can't find. From what I understood on the first series there are no relays for the headlights, but I can't find the problem. Not even the flashing lights works and the headlights warning light on the speedometer. Only the high beam activated by the Dip/Main Switch work. Thank you for any help. Manolo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Headlights relay

Post by Heuer » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Welcome Manolo!

There are no headlight relays on any of the S1/2 cars although adding them makes a huge improvement in headlamp performance. The problem likely lies with the multi bullet juntion box which you can only access by removing the left hand headlamp assembly. It looks like this (note this car has the relay upgrade):

It is the top black connector as dust and corrosion can easily get in. Remove the headlampp and sugar scoop and clean the bullets with switch cleaner. With a meter on each bullet in turn you can confirm there is 12 volts there as you operate each switch. Whilst yoiu are in there consider doing the relay upgrade, full instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4919
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#3 Re: Headlights relay

Post by mtnjag » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:11 pm

I know you said your dip switch (high/low beam selector switch) on the dash works properly but i had very similar conditions and it was that dash toggle high low beam selector switch that was the problem.

It was a while ago but I lost either high or low completely.
Part of the headlamp circuit runs through the switch, it is not ancillary to the circuit.

I replaced the switch and all was good.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: Headlights relay

Post by chrisfell » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:12 pm

I lost low/ dip recently while driving in the dark. It was a scary thing, having no lights or blinding oncoming traffic with full beam.

The problem was a faulty fuse. It looked good, but had a dry joint which heated up and broke continuity. Cool it was fine.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#5 Re: Headlights relay

Post by Philk » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 am

chrisfell wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:12 pm
I lost low/ dip recently while driving in the dark. It was a scary thing, having no lights or blinding oncoming traffic with full beam.

The problem was a faulty fuse. It looked good, but had a dry joint which heated up and broke continuity. Cool it was fine.
I had a near identical situation last Autumn - no dipped beam. Mine turned out to be a loose connection on the spade terminal adjacent to the fuse. Given the symptoms described, I'm sure the issue is simply a loose (or oxidised) connection either at a terminal on in one of the bullet connectors en-route from the switch through the 8 pin connector block inside the bonnet through to the lights themselves. The fact that neither are working points to something on the supply side of the 8 pin block.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
manolo_type_e
Italy

#6 Re: Headlights relay

Post by manolo_type_e » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:05 am

Thanks to everyone for the precious help, luckily it turned out that the problem was a wire that did not make contact in the central compartment where there are the fuses.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
manolo_type_e
Italy

#7 Re: Headlights relay

Post by manolo_type_e » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Heuer wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:19 pm
Welcome Manolo!

There are no headlight relays on any of the S1/2 cars although adding them makes a huge improvement in headlamp performance. The problem likely lies with the multi bullet juntion box which you can only access by removing the left hand headlamp assembly. It looks like this (note this car has the relay upgrade):

It is the top black connector as dust and corrosion can easily get in. Remove the headlampp and sugar scoop and clean the bullets with switch cleaner. With a meter on each bullet in turn you can confirm there is 12 volts there as you operate each switch. Whilst yoiu are in there consider doing the relay upgrade, full instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4919
Unfortunately, the problem has come back. I can't see the instructions you sent for editing with the relay, the link leads nowhere. Can you postpone it correctly? Thank you

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: Headlights relay

Post by Heuer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:26 pm

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic