Splined hub removal from carrier

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by andrewh » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 pm

I find this post vaguely depressing to be honest. I have restored three E types over the years but I have clean forgotten how I managed to remove the splined hub from the carrier using my press. The issue is how to hold the carrier firm whilst I push the splined hub out without damaging the aluminium carrier Please remind me of how to do this ! Half shaft is all out it’s just as above. Thanks guys.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by angelw » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:22 pm

Hello andrewh,
The following picture show the general set up I use to press the Hub from the Hub Carrier.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by andrewh » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:37 am

Thank you Bill. I guess getting the right size matching wood blocks is key. I had thought this may be it but had no recollection of doing this before. I was beginning to wonder whether there was some other technique I was missing only because the area the blocks rest on is narrow and curved slightly. Thanks again. Andrew
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by abowie » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:35 am

Sometimes they're not very tight and you can get away with tapping them out with a copper hammer.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#5 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by andrewh » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:26 am

Thank you. I will do this today. Fingers x
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#6 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by Allrand » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:13 pm

Don't understand Bill's picture. Mine were very tight & I pressed them out in the other direction with the half shafts still attached & dangling down.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#7 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by Allrand » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 pm

I stand corrected, I see you're talking about removing the hub from the carrier, not from the half shaft spigot.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#8 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by andrewh » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:22 pm

Indeed ! They are out now thanks Bill for jogging my memory. I shall forget my name next !
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#9 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by angelw » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Randall Wrote:
I stand corrected, I see you're talking about removing the hub from the carrier, not from the half shaft spigot.
Hello Randall,
I suspect that you were lucky and LocTite had not been used on the spline of the Half Shaft Axle, as is a common practice, because the force required to press the Half Shaft Axle from the Hub can be considerable and a real chance of damaging the Hub Carrier exists doing it as you describe.

Following is my version of the Jaguar Tool JD7A. If one of the High Strength LocTite has been used in the previous assembly, the force required will be beyond the scope of the standard JD7A tool. The JD7A tool focuses the force between the Hub and the Half Shaft splined axle and removes the potential of damaging the Hub Carrier.

The Tool sitting on the timber packers is for display only, to show how the assembly comes up through the steel plate from below.

Eight ton force is my limit before applying heat to destroy the characteristics of the LocTite and what is needed is a soaking type of heat as applied by an oven as there is too much air gap insulation between were you can bet a flame and where the heat is required, to be efficient. For that purpose I have an oven that will take the whole assembly of Half Shaft, Hug Carrier and Hub.

Care should also be taken to protect the threaded end of the splined axle by assembling the nut so that its outer end surface is flush with the end of the thread and the force is applied to the nut and the end of the thread instead of directly to the large Centre Drilled hole in the end of the shaft. The end of the thread is weakened considerably by the two, crossed split pin holes and the Centre hole. I have had to repair many where clients have tried separating the spined axle from the Hub and the end of the thread has collapsed under the pressure applied. If a mandrel with a tapered end, or ball bearing, as in the case of the standard JD7A tool, is used to locate in the Centre hole, a bursting force is applied to an area weakened by the split pin holes and the Centre.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#10 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by Allrand » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:14 am

Yes I geuss I was lucky. They were extemely tight, almost to the limit of my 12 ton hydraulic press. The one just sat there under full load for a few minutes then suddenly 'exploded' loose! I guess those hub carriers are pretty strong.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#11 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by Allrand » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:21 am

Reminds me of years ago I converted my S-type from steel wheels to wire wheels. I borrowed a puller to remove the flanged hub from the shaft and it actually distorted the sturdy puller before the hub came loose with a bang.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#12 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by andrewh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:42 am

We are talking about the splined half shaft fitting into the wire wheel splined hub. That was tighter and had white locking substance but came out with about 5 ton on the press.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#13 Re: Splined hub removal from carrier

Post by angelw » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 am

andrewh Wrote"
We are talking about the splined half shaft fitting into the wire wheel splined hub. That was tighter and had white locking substance but came out with about 5 ton on the press.
Hello andrewh,
It depends on the type of LocTite used. Some Numb Nuts use permanent LocTite and in such cases, they are a bear to get apart. As mentioned in my earlier Post, at eight tons, I abandon the press until the characteristics of the LocTite has been destroyed by heat.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic