Exhaust regret

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
TGN
Great Britain

#21 Re: Exhaust regret

Post by TGN » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:21 pm

Robbie

Q1. The ones from Jaguar are about £220 each. The moss ones are £170 or under for the pair.

Q2. The very helpful chap at my local Jaguar parts dept swore blind they didn’t do them, I had to give him the codes directly off their website. He then ordered exactly what I needed. And you don’t have to pay the £40 carriage charge either.

These should drop you onto the right pages it’s not the easiest of sites to navigate.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/
Trevor.
62 FHC 8607**, 64 Panhard 24CT, 68 Mini Cooper, Caterham 7, 64 Mini pickup

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#22 Re: Exhaust regret

Post by Robbiee » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pm

Hi Trevor
Thanks very much
The website certainly is a little hard to negotiate
I will check the part numbers carefully and take the list to the local JLR parts guy
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#23 Re: Exhaust regret

Post by Simonpfhc » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:49 am

None of it will be in stock - best to phone. They’ll then call you when it all arrives for collection.
I was called within two days of order.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#24 Re: Exhaust regret

Post by rfs1957 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 pm

There were other discussions here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12511&hilit=EXHAUST

but no amount of searching throws up the the post I made maybe 10+ years ago about trying straight-through pipes, and then reverting to modifying the original silencers, so here are the pictures again.

I did make some straight-through pipes (see above) to replace the original Bell centre silencers, but as I said at the time it was undriveably noisy.

(I think it's a Bell system - can anyone confirm the identity ? bear in mind it is circa 1990.)

So I examined the silencers and established that there was a promising diaphragm "wall" at the front end, just at the end of the entry passage.

Armed with a Bosch hole-cutter (can't remember the size but easily available) and a suitable extension (ashamed to see now that it was just a socket-drive) I managed to pop a hole through said diaphragm, which was a single thickness stainless baffle, resulting in you being able to see straight through the silencer from start to finish.

I feared this would equate to "straight-through" and make too much of a racket, but in point of fact the sound is every bit as what we call "feutré" (from feutre = felt, as in hat-material) or discreet as before, most of the time, but gives just the right edge to the sound when you cane it a bit.

Above all it does not detract from the cruising experience.

It's got to be the best free-modification I ever undertook on the car.

Question ; I've got stainless resonators, do I conclude from the above discussions that Moss are the best source of chromed-steel resonators, rather than Jaguar ? The Moss price now looks like £600 a pair, and are said to be Genuine Jaguar.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
TGN
Great Britain

#25 Re: Exhaust regret

Post by TGN » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:35 pm

Rory they’re £440 direct from Jaguar.

Anyway my Frankensystem is no more.
Awaiting a small parts delivery from MR so I can fit the new exhaust, just in time for its rolling road session next week

Trevor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
TGN
Great Britain

#26 Re: Exhaust regret

Post by TGN » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:12 pm

And don’t assume just because you buy genuine Jaguar parts they’ll fit any better than an aftermarket exhaust.

Overall I’m pleased with it, and if time wasn’t a factor I’d have probably considered getting a replacement centre silencer, in the hope it had been assembled correctly and true.
Trevor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic