Serie 1 Roadster advice

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Furbz
South Africa

#1 Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by Furbz » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:49 am

Hi All,

I am contemplating purchasing a series 1 Roadster.
the car in question was driven up from Cape Town to Johannesburg - unfortunately the gearbox did not have any oil in it and is now toast.
the car now has the engine out and gearbox out (all original)

the dealership is likely going to replace the gearbox for the 5 speed version and sell the car with the original gearbox included.

i went to view the car yesterday and was able to snap a few pictures

the following pics are to show the car off. below these will be pics of problem areas i have identified.
as i am new to this trade i need assistance in knowing how big an issue these problems really are and appreciate all advice given.

now the pics of issues i found:
Small hole in the soft top - not to worried about this

Massive gap between the soft top and the windshield - not really an issue but would expect this can be set. the rubbers all around this car are all in need of replacement.

The next few pics are of the engine. gaskets will all be replaced. what i am worried about is the massive build up of rust inside the engine. take a look at the lower pictures. not sure if this is a deal breaker or not? but i am really worried that the holes are no longer uniform - ie there is significant rusting

Just showing the state of the rubbers. this has just pulled away, but many have perished entirely

Small scratches in the light housing

Small bump on the bonnet

Ok the next few are of the passenger side of the car. below the battery box is a lot of rust issues.
you can also clearly see 2 lines downward and across - i expect this might be from a previous fix? there is also plenty rust issues under the battery area.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by mgcjag » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 am

Hi...all depends on price and what you want.....the car definatly looks like a restoration project....as it is its not even drivable.........its basic classic car buying...take someone with you who can inspect any potential purchase.....in your last photo the engine frame looks rusty...these frames cannot be welded or repaired.....if damaged or rusted they need replaceing.... .Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lopena
United States of America

#3 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by lopena » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:42 pm

Furbz:

I see lots of red flags on that car. That’s not to say the car shouldn’t be rescued and restored but you’re looking at about $200,000 in restoration costs (here in the States) if you want that car restored properly.

Good luck!
Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#4 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by mtnjag » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:09 pm

The body rust at the frame is likely just the tip of the iceberg.Looks like it and other areas were painted over rust “repair” so rust was allowed to continue for a cosmetic repair. Better check everywhere with your own body guy.
The head is not particularly attractive either. You would want to clean that off to see the condition of the aluminum and concern goes to the head bottom surface to the block. Your likely looking at head repair for aluminum corrosion with a head rebuild. Check the oil if not drained for any coolant in it.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#5 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by Allrand » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Waterways are typical, at least they look clear, but chemical cleaning will to the job.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Furbz
South Africa

#6 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by Furbz » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:03 pm

by the sounds of it this might not be the right car for me.
i'm not looking to do a full rebuild or anything along those lines

i'd rather have a good condition car that i can tinker on - i don't mind replacing rubbers or doing suspension work.
but full engine builds and body repair is likely one hurdle to far for me to manage (or want to manage)

the cost would be R2million(GBP95300 or USD116500) for the car as is with a new 5 speed box fitted. in other words, fully put back together, with a new box installed.
this would of course include new rubbers and gaskets for the engine. but nothing else done
Last edited by Furbz on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#7 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by DWW » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:00 pm

This is a car only suitable for DIY restoration by someone who is prepared and able to do the work himself over at least a couple of years if not more and spend at least £50k on parts. Having it restored by a professional outfit could go up to £150k
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RICHOT
Great Britain

#8 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by RICHOT » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:56 pm

I hate to say it but unless the car is a 'give away' then it should be a 'walk away'.

Don't let your heart rule your head as what you can see on the surface is most likely only the tip of the iceberg!

Its easy to be mislead by shinny paint etc but as others have said, unless you are a very, very hand DIY guy, then this will probably cost more to put it on the road in the way you want it, than it will be worth. Plus the long wait to enjoy the wonderful experience of driving an E Type.

There must be other better examples out there - just be patient!! Also, if someone drove it with an empty gearbox, what does that tell you about how it has been looked after???

Keep looking, the right one for you will eventually turn up.
1950 XK120
1965 S1 E Type DHC
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera cabriolet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Furbz
South Africa

#9 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by Furbz » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:21 pm

agreed.

it was purchased from an owner who owned it for 20 years.
the dealer then drove it up not really paying attention to the increasing gearbox whine - a real pity.

but yes. i will not be going after this car - i think its a good unmolested version that could do with a proper restoration. but its asking price is far to high.
locally in South Africa they are hens teeth, so one has to look hard to find them.

the search continues!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RICHOT
Great Britain

#10 Re: Serie 1 Roadster advice

Post by RICHOT » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:29 pm

A hard decision, Furbz!

Goo luck with your search :fingerscrossed: