Front brakes

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
No Quarter
Denmark

#1 Front brakes

Post by No Quarter » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:49 am

Help me sort out what I have and should use, bought this car in boxes, and friendly local 4.2 owners that felt the need to uprade their brakes gave me their leftovers.

Discs, the ones that look like they have been on the car when it was taken apart are just a plain disc, no bead, no ventilation, approx 9mm thickness. In Jag litterature I've seen discs portrayed with 4, 5 and 6 bolts, my hubs are 5-bolt. I can't find minimum thickness anywhere, not in books, not on disc. They don't look worn at all, in the sense that the swept area where the pads touch the disc are not thinner than the rest.

I were given new discs that look the same except they have a round thingy on the outside (bead), seen earlier on XJ6 S1, and are about 12mm wide. Will they fit? The extra 3mm width could be a problem, I was also given reconditioned front calipers, with the seperate pods, right now there's not 12mm between pads, maybe I can force them apart.

Can anybody tell me what's right and what's doable for my car?
Last edited by No Quarter on Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael
63 E-Type, 81 XJ6, 03 X-Type, 07 XKR
09 CTS-V
78 Longchamp
Author of "Tuning Made Easy"
https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Made-Easy ... 373&sr=8-1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Front brakes

Post by mgcjag » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:16 am

Hi Mikael....Brembo and other brake suppliers have technicaI drawings of their brake discs.......so look up the Jag part number of the discs for your model.....then the equivalent Brembo part...you can then get the technical drawing......dimensions do vary slightly with different manufacturere..i dont know the exact original spec....however rear will have 4 bolt holes front will have 5.....I have see both front and rear discs fitted with the round bead....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic