Page 1 of 1

#1 Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:35 pm
by baldyz1
I am trying to finish the last things on me Series 1 1966 etype. The problem is each time I tackle something I uncover poor or unscrupulous. Things have proven fixable but everything takes twice as long as I am undoing and redoing trying not to ruin finished paint etc..

My latest woe is the discovery that my orginal brakes must have been discarded (or sold more likely) in favour of some rebuilt 420G brakes. I only discovered this when trying to fit up the pad retainers and pins to finish the installation. Now I realise that the pad retainers and pins were not fitted as they are unobtanium.

So my questions are;

a) does anyone know where I might get the 420G parts to complete the job if I choose this route
or

b) has anyone perhaps upgraded and they have original brake parts that I can have rebuilt.

I have been looking at various original part numbers and the MK 10 brakes appear to be the same but I know there were many small variations in parts.

On the upside the rebuild seems to be good with the pistons moving easily and no leaks.

Many thanks
Chris

Image

Image

#2 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:40 am
by baldyz1
Found that its an early S-Type Saloon Calliper.

https://www.martinrobey.com/jaguar/clas ... akes/22131

Thanks
Chris

#3 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:50 pm
by abowie
This is a slightly curly problem.

Because of their design these calipers are better than the original in that they have a modern piston seal arrangement. But if you can't get the missing parts you may not be able to safely use them.

Another complicating factor is that the hub carrier may be different to the E Type/Mk2 one. The part numbers are similar (C19224 vs C19224/1), but the SNGB site is pretty clear that they are not "suitable" for those models. I can't tell you what the difference is.

It looks like the offset is the same; E Type, Mk2 and S type use the same front disc.

But the caliper casting 7715 is used on the XK150, E Type and Mk1/2 but not the S type. So it may have differences which prevent the use of the E Type calipers on the S type axle carrier.

If you're still following me...

Ideally, you would fit original E type calipers, if they fit on your uprights. Or you could fit any of the aftermarket offerings, or modify a set of Volvo 240 calipers to fit (the cheapest option).

If they won't fit on your uprights you're up for the whole setup.

#4 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:29 am
by baldyz1
Thanks for all your help guys.

I have managed to work out that the rear brake pad retainer should fit so I have ordered to find out for sure. I will then have to work out if everything is aligning etc.. but it all seems good and the discs run freely with the pads in place and the brakes can be applied and released.

The front pad retainer is unobtainable by specfic part number. I think I may have to grind around 1mm from the rear plate to fit after I asked for measurements and I guess thats why the front and rear had a different part number.

Many thanks
Chris

#5 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:35 am
by mgcjag
Check out Big Red brakes.....give them a call..you may get lucky https://www.biggred.co.uk/

#6 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:46 am
by Andyp_67E
If parts not available or battling with fit issues may be worth considering an upgraded caliper. I upgraded my original S1 brakes when they started sticking to Zeus cast 4 pot, for an authentic look through the spokes and better performance.

#7 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:56 pm
by tim wood
Couple of what appears to be real bargains on eBay at the moment.
Fosseway callipers and discs.


No affiliation

Tim

#8 Re: Front Brake Caliper issues

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:11 pm
by DWW
I must say o am very happy with the Fosseway upgrade brake kit, performs flawlessly 👍