Page 1 of 1

#1 to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 9:07 am
by alunwill
My car is due to go into paint in the next couple of months (although this seems to be slipping every week as I work on the car and I see more problems!). The body shop is pushing some stone Guard protection which looks like a pebble dashed, hard ceramic coating once applied.

What's the experienced view of applying stone guard inside the wheel arches and the under-floor panels.

I understand the obvious benefits but I'm wondering is it better to see the problems occurring and catching them in the bud, rather than hidden issues lurking behind the stone guard coating.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated


Alun

#2 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 9:35 am
by tim wood
This was mine when I had a repaint. I think it looks right
Image
Image

#3 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 9:44 am
by alunwill
Hi Tim,

any idea what they used.

Alun

#4 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 10:36 am
by tim wood
I think it’s just basic stone chip - nothing special. Applied on the inner arches only.
Was originally coated in thick underseal - scraped off by myself with aid of a heat gun and gauntlets and then taken to bare metal.
I also removed the wheelarch panel to get all of the old mess out of the way.
Hope this helps

Tim

#5 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 12:11 pm
by chrisfell
It depends how much use the car is going to get.

Regular use: stone chip everywhere tyres are likely to spit stones and debris.

Driving only to concours events, remaining cocooned in between: Factory finish only.

My car had stone chip inner arches when a new bonnet was fitted some years back. Rear arches had black waxoyl covering primer rust and old paint. Both finishes get cleaned each winter and a fresh protecting coat of clear waxoyl applied.

#6 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 2:14 pm
by DWW
I would definitely go for it under wheel arches and the entire underside including under the IRS and then of corse cover with body colour. The climate and the state of the roads definitely warrants it.

#7 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 2:32 pm
by mgcjag
I would be tempted to use what the spray shop are reccomending.....assuming it's a product that they are familiar in useing.....they should know how to apply it and how best to top coat it....Steve

#8 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Mon May 26, 2025 9:08 am
by malcolm
I had stone chip. Think it looks good.

#9 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Tue May 27, 2025 8:54 am
by alunwill
many thanks for the responses. Much appreciated


alun

#10 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2025 9:57 am
by Robbiee
Hi
My coupe has a stone chip (body colour over) in wheel arches, floor and kinda “blended” as the sills curve under the car..really good
My OTS has a smooth tough coat with body colour over which seems good …I’ll find the name of the product this week and let you know

#11 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2025 6:32 pm
by Robbiee
H B Body
Toughliner

#12 Re: to underseal or not!

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2025 8:47 am
by alunwill
Many thanks robbie

Alun