Page 1 of 1
#1 Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2026 9:19 pm
by Nick
I'm about to replace my clutch release bearing. It has done 15 years and 25K miles, but the carbon material has worn away. I note that the release bearing supplied with the Borg & Beck clutch (I may as well replace the clutch at the same time) has a small dia. roll pin pressed in from the side to secure the carbon in position. I've read on the forum of some previous failures and a roll pin, rather than a shrink fit into the housing as per the original design, doesn't seem very reliable to me.
Are there any recent experiences ? I'm considering running some superglue around the joint between the carbon & the steel housing.
Thanks.
#2 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2026 10:29 am
by 1954Etype
We’ve just replaced mine with the rob beere upgrade. Really good so far. I just don’t have any faith in the modern carbon bearings any more - seen too many breaking up/coming loose.
#3 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2026 2:40 pm
by mgcjag
It's a lot of work if you get it wrong....last couple I did were NOS bearings....they do come up on ebay but make sure they are the old ones and not NOS from a couple of years ago....I wouldnt touch the ones with roll pin or the self tap screw....I would go the same route as Angus...iv heard a couple of reports on them with no issues yet...Steve
#4 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2026 10:03 pm
by Nick
Thanks for replies gents. I've sourced an older carbon bearing to have available as an alternative.
Nick
#5 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2026 8:19 am
by mgcjag
Thete are several different release bearings..ensure that you have the correct one....have a look at this photo and note the difference in the main body from pivot point....yes one is worn but you can see the difference....Steve

#6 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2026 10:08 pm
by Nick
Thanks. The ebay old stock version is the same size (apart from assembly differences) as the new one supplied by Barratt's with the 4.2 diaphragm clutch. In the new bearing there was a 0.0015" gap in places around the circumference. The old one didn't have a gap here, but there is a 1-1.5mm gap on the rear face- ie it isn't fully seated into the recess. I currently think I'll use the old one since it doesn't have the roll pin.
The roll pin must surely have been added in an attempt to prevent the bearing rotating, but I've yet to find anyone with any engineering understanding who thinks it's a good idea.

#7 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2026 6:50 am
by MarkRado
I've heard - albeit from Triumph owners - that the upgraded bearing can be noisy. Angus have you experienced anything like that?
I am just about to change the clutch on my 3.8 as well.
Mark
#8 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2026 1:55 pm
by Tommd
Nick wrote: ↑Fri Mar 13, 2026 10:08 pm
The roll pin must surely have been added in an attempt to prevent the bearing rotating, but I've yet to find anyone with any engineering understanding who thinks it's a good idea.
Mistakes are made, but clearly the engineers at the manufacturer (Borg & Beck?) believe it is a good idea.
Tom
#9 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2026 3:39 pm
by 1954Etype
No issues yet with the roller bearing but we are about to head off to Italy next Thursday so that will give it a good test.
#10 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2026 8:54 am
by Gfhug
1954Etype wrote: ↑Sat Apr 04, 2026 3:39 pm
we are about to head off to Italy next Thursday
Angus, I hope you have better luck with your luggage this time! Have a great time.
Geoff
#11 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 11:24 am
by 1954Etype
Thanks Geoff! Not sure what else we can do as the cars are so easy to break into.
#12 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2026 10:35 am
by 1954Etype
Just a quick update on the Rob Beere release bearing. Now completed over 6K miles with no issues whatsoever. The clutch feels really smooth. We will only fit these moving forward.
#13 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2026 12:17 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Angus...thats great....what model bearing is it a I believe Rob Beere has a few options....Steve
#14 Re: Clutch Release bearing - is the roll-pin OK ?
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2026 12:59 pm
by 1954Etype
Its the 'True Central Push Clutch Release' on their website.