Page 1 of 1

#1 Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2026 4:10 pm
by Knightrider
I had my new windscreen fitted today and the fitter pointed out that the chrome side finishers are secured in place with screws, and shouldn't be! I can't say I had ever noticed!

I will be getting the car painted in the near future, and will have the opportunity to remove and replace them. It looks from SNG and MR that they are NLA and part numbers are not listed. Is there anyone that makes repro ones, or am I better off getting the originals filled and rechromed? Does anyone know the original part numbers so I can set up an ebay search in hope...?

#2 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:14 pm
by Durango2k
Hi,

Can you post pictures ? I have an early 2+2, and from memory there were screws, yes…

Kind regards,

Carsten

#3 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:50 pm
by Knightrider
I should get the car back next week - will post some pics then.

Looking at some other auction pictures online, I can't see screws... Unless they changed during production...

#4 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 8:14 am
by 40GT
My 66 has screws, both sides match in hole pattern too.

Was the fitter using the screws as an excuse for a poor fit?

#5 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 9:49 am
by tim wood
My 1966 2+2 ( now sold) definitely didn’t have screws securing the side chromes. Neither does my ‘68 OTS

Tim

#6 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:12 pm
by Knightrider
40GT wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 26, 2026 8:14 am
My 66 has screws, both sides match in hole pattern too.

Was the fitter using the screws as an excuse for a poor fit?
No - he got it fitting well. It was just bugging him!

#7 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 8:39 pm
by Sven
The chrome side finishers don't seem to be available from Barratts but they do list the screws!
Mine have holes that match the holes in the A pillars but I wonder with modern body adhesives if they are really necessary...
Image

#8 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 8:19 am
by Knightrider
Interesting... So it appears that some cars had screws from factory....?

#9 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:25 pm
by tim wood
Maybe some confusion here.
Both my cars had screws securing the side chromes where they fit into the door aperture (A post) neither had screws on the outside where the chrome meets the lower screen trim

#10 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:22 pm
by Knightrider
I think you are correct. Having got the car back this week, the holes are very clearly aftermarket - not least of which because there are 2 one side (top and bottom) and one on the other!

The trim are now fit properly without the screws, but the holes remain. I may have to wait until I get the car painted and see if the holes can be welded...

#11 Re: Series 1 2+2 windscreen side chromes

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:26 pm
by Series1 Stu
I think the trims are brass so they should braze up nicely then off for rechrome. Perfect!

Regards