#1 Difficulty to engage gears (sometimes impossible)
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:04 pm
Hi
Wanted to share an issue I have in my S1 4.2 ‘64 as it has become even a safety concern.
In the last drives, it has become more and more difficult to engage reverse and 1st gear, to the point that today I even got stuck at a red light being impossible to engage any gear, until I turned off the engine and started again. This is thankfully not happening every single time.
Reverse also has been tough, with this kind of horrible grinding (?) noise (sorry English not my first language but I refer to that kind of noise when clutch and gear shift do not match properly). This improves if I press the clutch a couple of times before engaging reverse.
Clutch fluid reservoir was leaking (either the bottle or the connection to the pipes), so I replaced the bottle some weeks ago before all this started to happen, and no leakage since then, in case this may be the reason (could an air bubble have been formed and affecting?).
Car was fully restored, with engine and gearbox done a couple of years ago.
Not big issues shifting between 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
Thanks for any views / advice.
Wanted to share an issue I have in my S1 4.2 ‘64 as it has become even a safety concern.
In the last drives, it has become more and more difficult to engage reverse and 1st gear, to the point that today I even got stuck at a red light being impossible to engage any gear, until I turned off the engine and started again. This is thankfully not happening every single time.
Reverse also has been tough, with this kind of horrible grinding (?) noise (sorry English not my first language but I refer to that kind of noise when clutch and gear shift do not match properly). This improves if I press the clutch a couple of times before engaging reverse.
Clutch fluid reservoir was leaking (either the bottle or the connection to the pipes), so I replaced the bottle some weeks ago before all this started to happen, and no leakage since then, in case this may be the reason (could an air bubble have been formed and affecting?).
Car was fully restored, with engine and gearbox done a couple of years ago.
Not big issues shifting between 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
Thanks for any views / advice.