Page 1 of 1

#1 Fan Belt

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 am
by on2wheels
Preparing for the Silverstone Classic in July I thought I should be prepared
for any eventuality.
What might I have to do at the side of the M5/M4?
The first thing that occurred to me was "broken fan belt".
I have changed fan-belts on other cars in the past.
Now I don't want stories about ladies tights please!

Looking at the alternator assembly I see there is a silver painted shield.
This appears to be bolted to the exhaust manifold and some part at the front of the engine.
My first question is can the alternator be swivelled within the shield, or does the shield have to be removed. If so I may have to prepare by loosening the said manifold bolts which look fairly rusty.

My second question is what other roadside repairs should I be prepared to do?
Thanks.

Image

#2

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm
by Heuer
Nick

A visual check of the fan belt should allay your fears. If there is any loose fibres or oil contamination then I would change it otherwise you are unlikely to have trouble. If in doubt put a new one on anyway given the low cost. Having covered 33,000 miles in our car mostly in Europe the only problem I have had is an accelerator spring breaking so I reckon the E-Type is a very reliable car providing it has been well maintained. So check all fluids, tyre pressures and do a 'spanner' check on everything. I wrote a list a couple of years ago of what I do to prepare and take with me:

http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ht=touring
http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ht=touring

This list assumes you have fully serviced the car and have been circumspect in replacing parts before they fail! (e.g. coil, distributor, HT leads and caps, hoses