energy-absorbing steering column
-
norman m. macleod
Topic author - Posts: 227
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:34 am
- Location: Perth, Western Australia

#1 energy-absorbing steering column
Hi all,
I am trying to ascertain the interchangeabilty of the above into a Series 1 4.2. The steering column I have found in this pile of bits and boxes I call a restoration project is one of the energy-absorbing type. I am fairly sure (with JH Cert.) that the car is a late Series 1(Feb. 1967...), but was lhd ex US, which I will convert to rhd. According to my research, (and Haddock), the collapsible column came in only with the Series 1.5 ( a vague enough subject in itself......!) The column assy. also has the ign. key fitted, but the instrument panel has the central key + starter button. Have I the wrong column assy. or could it be fitted......? Any wisdom appreciated......
All the best from Down Under,
Norman.
I am trying to ascertain the interchangeabilty of the above into a Series 1 4.2. The steering column I have found in this pile of bits and boxes I call a restoration project is one of the energy-absorbing type. I am fairly sure (with JH Cert.) that the car is a late Series 1(Feb. 1967...), but was lhd ex US, which I will convert to rhd. According to my research, (and Haddock), the collapsible column came in only with the Series 1.5 ( a vague enough subject in itself......!) The column assy. also has the ign. key fitted, but the instrument panel has the central key + starter button. Have I the wrong column assy. or could it be fitted......? Any wisdom appreciated......
All the best from Down Under,
Norman.
1967 S1 2+2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#2
Norman : I see no reason in principle why it should not be fitted, as a friend of mine has retro-fitted one to his XK150 . What I think you may need to change are the steering column upper bushes, from the felt type to the plastic ones, and you may in fact need to change the whole upper column to the later type , if this is not with the lower column you have got. The important bits to look at ( I think) are the plastic shear buttons, which must be in good order , and no sudden forces must be applied to the column when installing the steering wheel etc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#4
The later column also lost its rake adjustment so if the height of the column is important to you, check the location is suitable. It can be packed with spacers on the mounting bolts but not adjusted easily thereafter.
Pete
Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#5
Peter : now, I didn't know that the rake adjustment was lost. Is that a function of the upper column itself, or that the slotted column holder was abandoned? ( I have no excuse since I have both series 1 and s2, but am too lazy to examine the s2 closely!)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#6
Not sure Chris.
One assumes there was some kind of rigidity criterion involved in the change of mounting. In so far as you design a 'honeycomb' outer column that is supposed to collapse under impact, I guess you first have to ensure the crush forces have something solid to react against through the column rather than at the upper end stright into the bulkhead. If the column were mounted as original the crush cascade of bending and yield stresses might never happen? Dunno. It's not the easiest of places to get a good view and work out the force path once you've got everything assembled, unless you like limbo dancing. The shear buttons certainly appear not to be the only energy absorbing element.
I was going to fit my S1 column assembly from the 2+2 as part of the switch to S1 dash and wiring that I've done in my S2 OTS, but at the time I couldn't find the column. I have it now for the next time I tinker in that area.
As/when I do fit an adjustable S2 column, or work on the column of my new S1 FHC, I intend to modify the tilt system so no tools are needed. I'll replace the standard fixture with a shortened bicycle quick-detach wheel skewer. This will enable tool-free rake adjustment by using the QR cam action to clamp it in position, instead of needing spanners to hold the bolt head and nut while adjusting rake.
The S3 also has no rake adjust of course, only the S1 has it. I mentioned it in my Buyer's Guides as part of the 'will it fit' type info, early on.
Pete
One assumes there was some kind of rigidity criterion involved in the change of mounting. In so far as you design a 'honeycomb' outer column that is supposed to collapse under impact, I guess you first have to ensure the crush forces have something solid to react against through the column rather than at the upper end stright into the bulkhead. If the column were mounted as original the crush cascade of bending and yield stresses might never happen? Dunno. It's not the easiest of places to get a good view and work out the force path once you've got everything assembled, unless you like limbo dancing. The shear buttons certainly appear not to be the only energy absorbing element.
I was going to fit my S1 column assembly from the 2+2 as part of the switch to S1 dash and wiring that I've done in my S2 OTS, but at the time I couldn't find the column. I have it now for the next time I tinker in that area.
As/when I do fit an adjustable S2 column, or work on the column of my new S1 FHC, I intend to modify the tilt system so no tools are needed. I'll replace the standard fixture with a shortened bicycle quick-detach wheel skewer. This will enable tool-free rake adjustment by using the QR cam action to clamp it in position, instead of needing spanners to hold the bolt head and nut while adjusting rake.
The S3 also has no rake adjust of course, only the S1 has it. I mentioned it in my Buyer's Guides as part of the 'will it fit' type info, early on.
Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#7
Sorry, that should be 'As/when I do fit the adjustable column to my S2..' The S2/S3 column is non-adjustable, as mentioned.PeterCrespin wrote:Not sure Chris.
As/when I do fit an adjustable S2 column...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#8
Peter : now I think about it, the collapsible column has to be fixed in rake, because as you suggest, if there was a "kink" in it, the honeycomb would tend to deform each time you turned the wheel
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |


