Just noticed some bonnet buffers I've never noticed on a car in real life...
They are part number BD 10224, listed on page 182 of the 3.8L Spares Book and shown as item 49 on Plate 38.
The plate shows a side latch bonnet, so maybe they were phased out with the outside bonnet lock system. Does anyone have these parts and a photo of their location? I'm guessing something simple liek a buffer may serve in other places too but I am curious about not having noticed these before. Never had them on any of my E-types anyway...
Pete
Mystery bonnet buffers?
-
PeterCrespin
Topic author - Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#1 Mystery bonnet buffers?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Hi Pete,
You are right! The rubber stop was part of the outside bonnet latch cars only.
I hope you can see the picture?! THis is the original bracket where a screw was locked on with a nut and on which hexagon the rubber was positioned. This was to give the bonnet a kind of guidance instead of the part below, which you can see also on the pic (This is a converted outside bonnet latch car, which will hopefully soon be converted back to original specs).
It is of course not working as good as possible, so there was a good reason for the change.
Btw, the welding was done later at one of the many "restorations", most likely the big one at the end of the 90ies, when the car was sprayed back to cream from formerly being opalescent dark brown. Originally the brackets were only pop-rivited and I believe that the pop-rivets are still original.
Unfortunately the car lost some other features like the original current regulator bracket and many many more details. But returning the car back to original spec will be my life-time task! I am only not sure if I want like to go for cream / red. Maybe cream / light blue would be more my favorite..... we will see.
Another side note: The bracket was continued for a while so my roadster 875521 also shows the pop-rivited brackets incl. screws. But also the new version of guidance and I doubt that the car ever had rubbers on the brackets. Well maybe the car had both. And different to the cream one my roadster is believed to be very original.
Well that's it basically! I checked at SNG - they are selling replacements and potentially also original ones. But the description there does not mention E-Type. Well fair enought as long as you know. So thank you very much for this information!

Best regards
Stefan
You are right! The rubber stop was part of the outside bonnet latch cars only.
I hope you can see the picture?! THis is the original bracket where a screw was locked on with a nut and on which hexagon the rubber was positioned. This was to give the bonnet a kind of guidance instead of the part below, which you can see also on the pic (This is a converted outside bonnet latch car, which will hopefully soon be converted back to original specs).
It is of course not working as good as possible, so there was a good reason for the change.
Btw, the welding was done later at one of the many "restorations", most likely the big one at the end of the 90ies, when the car was sprayed back to cream from formerly being opalescent dark brown. Originally the brackets were only pop-rivited and I believe that the pop-rivets are still original.
Unfortunately the car lost some other features like the original current regulator bracket and many many more details. But returning the car back to original spec will be my life-time task! I am only not sure if I want like to go for cream / red. Maybe cream / light blue would be more my favorite..... we will see.
Another side note: The bracket was continued for a while so my roadster 875521 also shows the pop-rivited brackets incl. screws. But also the new version of guidance and I doubt that the car ever had rubbers on the brackets. Well maybe the car had both. And different to the cream one my roadster is believed to be very original.
Well that's it basically! I checked at SNG - they are selling replacements and potentially also original ones. But the description there does not mention E-Type. Well fair enought as long as you know. So thank you very much for this information!

Best regards
Stefan
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



