Page 1 of 1
#1 Bonnet Beading
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:25 pm
by Abarth
Hello gang!
I am at the last stage of my S1 4.2 rebuild and installing all the pretty chrome on the nose and came across a bit of a head scratcher and thought I ought to put it across to the experts. I bought a new set of upper and lower bonnet bead strips and noticed that the longer upper pieces are much longer than the bonnet. I assume that the reason for this is to provide excess length in the same way that my replacement bonnet was supplied slightly longer so that it could be trimmed down and tailored perfectly to my car(?) My real question though is at what point do you trim the beading at the headlight side? Should the bead run below the rings/seal of the headlight covers or should it be trimmed to end just before them? Any advice and even photographs would be greatly appreciated.
With many thanks in advance and best regards,
Arnoud
#2 Re: Bonnet Beading
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 pm
by 1954Etype
Arnoud, you will see many cars with the beading under the headlight chrome and just as many with it butting up to it. I always prefer to butt it up so it touches the ring. This way, the rubber can do its job without the beading holding the ring proud.
Angus
#3 Re: Bonnet Beading
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 pm
by Abarth
Dear 1954Etype,
Thank you for your solid advice! I can certainly see the value in letting the headlight seal do its job particularly in its efforts to prevent condensation around the headlights which the S1 cars are so prone to doing! I was wondering as a half way house if anyone has ever flattened the first inch of the beading?
Best regards,
Arnoud
#4
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:12 pm
by mystery type
Hi Arnold,
this question as been asked before, i remember reading the post, it also had some pics.
i just did a search, but cant seem to find it.
maybe someone else remembers it.
#5 Bonnet beading
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:57 pm
by tim wood
Hi, I asked this question a while ago and have to say the answers were inconclusive. Ive searched all the books I have and the photos vary.
So not much help from me im afraid - in the end i tucked them in below the rubber as then hid the cut end and looks ok.
I will be watching the thread with interest.
regards
Tim
#6
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm
by Heuer
On my car the strips end at the headlight trim. I then put a 1" piece of round metal* 1/2" down each. The exposed tip sits under the headlight trim and holds the ends down perfectly without interfering with the rubber or causing the headlight rim to stay pround. If you do not do this the trim tends to raise itself up above the headlight trim helped by air flow.
* a non ferrous nail or pop rivet cast-off
#7
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 pm
by Abarth
Thank you all for your helpful posts!
Heuer - what an ingenious idea!! form and function! Do you by chance have a photograph of your setup for reference (even with headlight glass/rings in place)? In the spirit of Malcolm Sayer's design I feel like everything should flow and there should be continuity in the lines. I like this idea - it seems very efficient.
For reference do we know how this was originally configured on the production line?
With many thanks,
Arnoud
#8
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm
by Heuer
I will indeed take a picture but it will not be until Sunday as I am out shooting all day tomorrow.
#9
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm
by Abarth
Thank you very kindly David!
#10
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:05 pm
by ChrisC
Yup a nice tip - i like that and will be copying it...
thanks
#11
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:04 pm
by mystery type
and noticed that the longer upper pieces are much longer than the bonnet. I assume that the reason for this is to provide excess length in the same way that my replacement bonnet was supplied slightly longer
when i purchased my bonnet bead strips, they were also longer than i expected, so i contacted the supplier to enquire the reason for the extra length. reasoning that the extra material used would thus make the product more expensive.
Their reply was quite enlightening, and they sent me this brief explanation video, which seems to clarify the situation quite well.