Page 1 of 1

#1 Panel over back axle

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:20 pm
by vikla
When I lift up the boot board on my 66 FHC going over the back axle it exposes the chassis/bodywork and I can see all the mechanicals. It looks as if there should be a vaguely oblong panel over this area because the metalwork is indented and there seem to be some screw holes.

I can't find such a panel listed anywhere so wondered if I am correct. If so what is it made of and ideally it would be good to see a picture.

Thanks

Steve

#2

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm
by christopher storey
It is a pressed steel panel roughly speaking of a lozenge shape i.e. it tapers at either end . There are indentations to match the holes in the body above the rear axle and it is secured by several self tapping screws . There is a neoprene type seal which runs around the periphery to seal it

#3

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:37 pm
by ChrisC
it looks like this: on my panel the neoprene seal covered the entire underside of the panel. You cant quite see the indentation that Chris mentions but it is there.

Image

#4

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:04 pm
by vikla
thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for.

Just got to find one now.

It's so infuriating knowing that somewhere there is the one originally from my car probably sitting in garage somewhere....or maybe went into the bin

#5 panel over rear axle

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 pm
by vikla
I ordered a new panel for one of the main suppliers. What I got was a sheet of thin unpainted aluminium cut to the right shape. That's it, all for ?18.

When I inspected the car in more detail I have 2 large holes, one over each brake disk. However the holes have clearly been made by drilling round and then cutting out. The edges of the holes are all rough.

My question is - did all cars have this

#6 finish of post

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:00 pm
by vikla
......continued from unfinished previous post.

.... did all cars have the cut-outs above the back axle and the panel to cover it.

#7

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:34 pm
by Roman K
on my 69 It's definitely not a factory made hole. The edges are very rough and obviously cut by a PO.

#8

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 pm
by paulsco
There isnt a hole on my 65 FHC. just the depressions in the top panel?

Regards,

Paul

#9

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 am
by christopher storey
It is very variable. Up to the end of the 3.8, it seems that most cars had the cutouts . My very early 4.2 has them also. After that it seems that a minority had them, probably as earlier pressings were used up at the factory. My S2 OTS does not have the holes

#10

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:57 am
by jongant
Hi

If you want the correct panel and the same as the good looking panel as shown by ChrisC, you can get them as I did from Martin Robey's. Mine bought in Aug 08 cost ?30 delivered.

The part number is BD18492 "Cover Plate".

I ran my car without this plate on once............unbelieveable noisy and windy, so a decent seal is imperative.

#11

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:01 am
by 1954Etype
jongant wrote:Hi

If you want the correct panel and the same as the good looking panel as shown by ChrisC, you can get them as I did from Martin Robey's. Mine bought in Aug 08 cost ?30 delivered.

The part number is BD18492 "Cover Plate".

I ran my car without this plate on once............unbelieveable noisy and windy, so a decent seal is imperative.
don't forget you need a rubber gasket between the plate and body. I made one out of an old inner tube.