Rotational noise from rear?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
thegfb
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Great Britain

#1 Rotational noise from rear?

Post by thegfb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 am

A rotational 'click' noise has appeared at the rear of my S1 FHC 3.8. It only manifests itself after 15 miles or more of motorway or fairly high speed A road driving. It doesn't seem to be brake linked as it doesn't disappear if I touch the brake pedal. The car runs on standard size wheels with Avon Turbospeed tyres so I don't think it's a tyre rubbing issue though as I don't have a car lift I can only jack the car and, of course, the wheels drop so I can't check if there's any rubbing. Anyway it doesn't seem to related in any way to whether the suspension's compressed or not as it is at it's most audible if I sit in the car and roll at low speed and listen with the car door open.

Any ideas?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#2

Post by christopher storey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm

It might be advisable to check your wheel spokes . Run the wooden handle of a fairly substantial screwdriver over them, and listen for any which sound dull. Also have a look to see that none are missing !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
thegfb
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Great Britain

#3

Post by thegfb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm

I replaced the wheels fairly recently with new painted items from MWS (think they look better on a very early car) but, nonetheless, I will check as per Christopher's suggestion (thank you very much for your response).

If it's not that might it be diff linked? Or perhaps one of the UJs?

I know it's almost impossible to be definitive without seeing the car but any further hints which might take me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15204
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#4

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Have you put limited diff additive into the rear axle or used the correct fluid with additive?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#5

Post by christopher storey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 pm

With new wheels my suggestion of loose spokes seems unlikely . Is it once per wheel rotation, or once per propshaft rotation i.e. about 3.3 clicks per wheel rotation ( assuming you have the 3.31 final drive ) ? And have you checked those pestilential UJ covers at the outer end of the driveshafts - they are forever moving and touching something as they rotate - I abandoned mine as a result

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic