Page 1 of 1

#1 Handbrake mechanism

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm
by andrewh
Can anyone shed any light on whey my handbrake mechanism does not, at the moment line up with the levels on the handbrake calipers? I realise the arm may be bent, but it doesnt seem to have been bent and is in what appears to be the correct place. I am sure there will be a simple answer!

Image

edit: you can see the gap between the thin arms that locate the clevis pin and the arm!

thx

#2

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:19 pm
by Heuer
This thread may be of some assistance: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =handbrake

#3

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:33 pm
by andrewh
thanks for the link and indeed it does help in terms of the adjustment. However, it does not address the issue I currently have which is that my thin arms do not line up with the handbrake lever on the caliper. I assume I have either set it all up incorrectly, or the thin arms need to be physically bent to fit the arms. Once i have it all connected up I can deal with the operation as per the indicated post. thanks a lot

#4

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm
by 1954Etype
I think you can simply pivot the handbrake mechanism round to line up with the linkage.

#5

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:05 pm
by andrewh
Ahh! now I did wonder about that actually, but never followed it through I will take a good look at that tomorrow. I stripped all the handbrake mechanism and the self adjustment mechanism to plate it, so its likely to have gone back not quite the same. Any idea how it turns by any chance? I can investigate anyway. thanks a lot.

#6

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:36 pm
by 1954Etype
It should just twist. Let us know how you get on.

#7

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 am
by andrewh
:oops:

Ah, well its back to school for me! You are of course quite correct, in that a little force moved the arm into line with the compensator linkage. Now I need to look into this correct adjustment discussion. Thank very much for the help.

andrew

#8

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 am
by 1954Etype
Glad you're sorted!