FHC rear side window chrome

Talk about the E-Type Series 1
User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#1 FHC rear side window chrome

Post by andrewh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am

Have I imagined it or was there a thread already about how to remove and replace the chrome on the side windows? I have searched but cannot find it and dont want to mess up the chome or break the glass. thanks
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


osgii
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:29 am
Switzerland

#2

Post by osgii » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:33 am

Yeap, I red something about the long upper chrome bar that cover both windows (rear and door windows).
Are you talking about that chrome bar?
1E35547

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#3

Post by andrewh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

hi , no I think you are talking about the rain gutter trim. I am talking about removing the chrome frame around the actual glass on the rear opening quarter lights. I seem to recall there was a post mentioning a technique to avoid damaging any part . thanks though
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#4

Post by christopher storey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 am

The quarter light is fastened by a vertical tongue which fits into a slot in the B post. To get the light off, undo the screws on the vertical face of the B post . To get the glass out , you need to undo the screws which fasten the various elevations of the chrome surround together , and then gently prise them off the glass. Sometimes I use a rubber hammer and a piece of wood to shock them off

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Simon P
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: London
Great Britain

#5

Post by Simon P » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

And Chris C wrote up how to put them all back together again afterwards:

http://www.connor.org.uk/George/Blog/En ... ights.html

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#6

Post by ChrisC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Removing the chrome frame from around the window glass is a little scary. Removing the frame from the car is simple enough and is mentioned above. Once the glass and frame is on the bench you will see the frame is in two parts a straight section and an a much longer curved section.

Start with the straight section. Remove the four screws that you can see and put them somewhere safe as they are small and easily lost. Next comes the first of the scary parts. You will probably have noticed that undoing the screws didn't do very much at all.... That is because the glass and rubber is a very tight fit and over the years the rubber will have adhered to the glass.

So.....

I was advised to use a hot air stripper to warm up the frame and glass to loosen the old rubbers grip on the glass. Although This was recommended to me it made me nervous. I was told - DON'T point the stripper directly at the glass (as you run the risk of shattering it) angle it at about 10 degrees and the hot air flow will flow over the glass and frame.

I did this for about 20 minutes but the glass was still a tight fit. I was warned about this and the next bit was the part that worried me as you have to lever the chrome off the rubber. I used a hard wood wedge that just fitted the gap and pushed it in as far as possible so that it could lever the largest part of the frame. You have to be carefully that you don't bend the chrome so be patient!

Once one side moves a little go to the other end and do the same. Then back to the first end etc. after a few times the chrome will now be moving off the rubber so keep going.

The curved section is just the same but you have to pull the chrome off the glass as you work your lever round. It is less likely to bend than you think but don't be brutal. Keep easing a wedge In between the frame and rubber and above all be patient as you don't want to damage the glass or frame.

I DID say this was scary didn't I?

There may well be another way of doing this but it's hard to find anyone that has done this job... If you find another way let people know :o
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#7

Post by andrewh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Scary indeed. I recall now I read you posts the original description. I have already removed the small countersunk screws and as you say I am aware of the tricky nature as nothing really happened once they were out. Not sure about this. Will need to steel myself for the task in hand. as always thanks for hte guidance
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#8

Post by christopher storey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:41 pm

if you are going to try heat, I suggest that instead of a heat gun you put them in a cold oven, preferably of the fan type ( and preferably when the boss is out ) and heat it to say 50 to 75 C for 1 hour . This is far less likely to set up uneven stresses in the glass, and should be hot enough to soften any adhesive that may have been used . But as has been said, it is really a question of gentle pressure and/or gentle shocking . When I did mine, they came off quite easily once the first movement had been achieved . It also does no harm to infiltrate wd40 or the like into the joints from the open ends

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#9

Post by andrewh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

understood thanks. I will have another look at the task tomorrow and see whether I can master it. As my Dad says to me, make haste slowly lad!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15203
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#10

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:09 pm

As your wife will be out I think you should also consider using a hair drier rather than a paint stripping gun!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


vipergts
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

#11

Post by vipergts » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Too much precious time involved in that procedure

I smashed the glass.......Sooooo much easier 8)
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#12

Post by andrewh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm

No you didnt.......did you?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


vipergts
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

#13

Post by vipergts » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Oh yes.....didn't want to risk bending my metal
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#14

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:55 pm

In hindsight I could have smashed the glass as I was replacing it. But could not bear to break something original that I could keep / sell.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


vipergts
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

#15

Post by vipergts » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Oh....I hadn't thought of that Chris

I feel really bad now :?
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#16

Post by andrewh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

I am just about to reassemble the rear quarter lights and have bought a rubber seal kit but it does not look like the rubber seal around the glass itself is included. I cannot see a part number for this part either. Can anyone tell me whether they can be supplied? Pretty important part!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#17

Post by christopher storey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 am

have a word with Andy Rayner at Hutson's 01274 669052 - I am pretty sure I got mine from him

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#18

Post by ChrisC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Its called glazing rubber and comes by the meter. Automotive glass suppliers / windscreen fitters can provide it.

Be advised though that it comes in a number of thicknesses 1mm 2mm etc. From memory I used 1mm and didnt need any sealant. It *might* have been 1.5mm...
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#19

Post by andrewh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 pm

thanks Guys. I had hoped it was a pretty standard thing. Now you have given me the pointer I will start googling. cheers Andrew

edit.......does it come as flat rubber or as a "U" section already formed? I have some of the original which I can measure for thickness.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


vipergts
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

#20

Post by vipergts » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Instant gasket saw mine finished to perfection
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic