photo showing wiring loom behind the central panel

Talk about the E-Type Series 1
User avatar

Topic author
ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#1 photo showing wiring loom behind the central panel

Post by ChrisC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Chaps.

Anyone have a photo showing the placement of the wiring loom as it bends from the bulkhead to the central gauge/switch panel?

I am trying to fit the dashboard vent tubes and where I have the loom at the moment it is pushing the rubber hose part of the vent so far down - I cant fit the radio console. I almost certain the left and right hose come out sideways and dont come up through the wiring area...

I *think* the wires should be clamped onto the top of the panel when it lays flat where-as I have the loom underneath which gut feel tells me is wrong...

A photo would help.

Cheers
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Dave K
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Great Britain

#2

Post by Dave K » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Chris,

I have a couple of what I think are excellent original photos showing an original wiring loom on the centre dash.
I can't post them here so I'll forward the to your home email.
If you can post photos on here then feel free.
Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#3

Post by christopher storey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Here you are

Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#4

Post by ChrisC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 pm

ah and oh-dear and er whooops.....

I routed all the wiring through the steering support - not sure that the vent hoses will fit through there now but I will find a way :twisted:

Where did the plastic hose come from Chris? Mine appears to be cardboard and may not be long enough anymore...
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


1954Etype
Moderator
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:32 pm
Contact:
Great Britain

#5

Post by 1954Etype » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I *think* Chris's car is wrong. Just checked the photos of my car when it was unrestored and you can just see the loom disappearing in between that bracket. The factory also insulated the surfaces where the cables could rub. I have an unrestored S2 in at the moment - I'll check that out (can't open the doors at the moment as it is in the air on the ramp!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#6

Post by christopher storey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:58 pm

'Fraid I've no idea where that plastic tube came from -as you see it , it was on the car when I got it 20 years ago and indeed I used it on the rebuild . I think, however, that it was probably much cheaper than the original, which when i priced it up was an astronomical price . Whether the loom is correctly routed I cannot say, but the pic does seem to confirm your view that the outer rubber vents are horizontal . I can't now remember whether Angus's car was a left to right conversion, but that of course affects the loom routing as the same loom is used for both left and right handers,part of it merely being turned through 180 degrees to get the instrument cluster wires on the correct side of the car

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#7

Post by ChrisC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:31 pm

I have sourced some 35mm duct tube and will report back.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


paulsco
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Great Britain

#8

Post by paulsco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 pm

"as the same loom is used for both left and right handers; part of it merely being turned through 180 degrees to get the instrument cluster wires on the correct side of the car"

Are you sure about this Christopher; I need to do this conversion and the part number is different for the right and left hand drive looms and the article in the E-Type magazine and in pdf on this forum seems to imply that they are different?

Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


paulsco
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Great Britain

#9

Post by paulsco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm

"as the same loom is used for both left and right handers; part of it merely being turned through 180 degrees to get the instrument cluster wires on the correct side of the car"

Are you sure about this Christopher; I need to do this conversion and the part number is different for the right and left hand drive looms and the article in the E-Type magazine and in pdf on this forum seems to imply that they are different?

Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#10

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm

The loom should go through the steering column bracket, the edges of which are sheathed with a furflex-type trim to prevent cutting into the harness.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#11

Post by ChrisC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks Peter that's helpful to know.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#12

Post by christopher storey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Paul : well, I have bought 2 new looms now, and in neither case was there any difference between the LHD and RHD looms, so I am pretty sure about it. It may be, of course, that Lucas having effectively disappeared from the scene , that the the 2 main sources of looms have just designed a new one size fits all arrangement . Certainly, both of mine contained redundant wires to deal with most specifications without modification

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#13

Post by christopher storey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Paul : well,in terms of the modern replacements I think so : I have bought 2 new looms now, and in neither case was there any difference between the LHD and RHD looms, so I am pretty sure about it. It may be, of course, that Lucas having effectively disappeared from the scene , that the the 2 main sources of looms have just designed a new one size fits all arrangement . Certainly, both of mine contained redundant wires to deal with most specifications without modification, and would clearly fit either LHD or RHD cars

PS Looking at the parts book, I see what you mean about the originals being tailored to suit.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


1954Etype
Moderator
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:32 pm
Contact:
Great Britain

#14

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 pm

um, didn't I say that? :shock:
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Dave K
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Great Britain

#15

Post by Dave K » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Angus,

It appears that you did say that, 3 times in fact :shock:

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


1954Etype
Moderator
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:32 pm
Contact:
Great Britain

#16

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

just like to make my point Dave :D

(deleted the other 2 but don't know why it happens!)
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#17

Post by ChrisC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you gentlemen but back to the point 8) I have worked out that the loom was secured to the panel in such a way that when closed it pushed the loom down onto the rubber hose. Once released from said securing thingy it was much better. I now have the rubber hoses pointing to each side awaiting the replacement hose to vent.

Job done. tick.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#18

Post by andrewh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Sorry I have only just seen this post. Here is a link to my phot set on 62 fhc. This car had NEVER been dismantled. Hope this helps.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#19

Post by andrewh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm

oops here is the link better luck second time.

http://s714.beta.photobucket.com/user/v ... e%20wiring
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic