Page 1 of 1

#1 CONVERTIBLE HOOD WINDSCREEN LATCH

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:11 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Everyone

Just been fettling the E-Type before heading out to Lathalmond in Fife tomorrow for a classic car show. A problem I've had since the start of my ownership is the hood latch which connects into the rear view mirror support. It refuses to latch closed no matter how I adjust the base plate on the underside of the hood frame. At best it closes and then springs open when you least expect it.
The two side clips latch close without any bother. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it?

Cheers

Alan

#2

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:09 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Latest update, I've made two aluminium spacers to fit under the catch and it now latches without popping open when you least expect. So job done!
Now I need to attend to a rattle from one of the cam chains, which appeared on my way back from Sunday's show.

Cheers

Alan

#3

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 am
by stef
You have probably bent the arm.

I had that problem too. A vice and a hammer plus a bit of sharpening of the hook got it back working again.

#4

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:01 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Stef

The problem I have had is that there didn't appear to be enough space to allow the thumb paddle to move past the vertical position and lock closed. When I first got the car the clip was marginal at best and on further investigation I found that someone had previously tried to remedy this by packing out the two holes in the base nearest the windscreen. The cone at the bottom of the clip did not line up with the hole in the top of the windscreen bracket unless this was done. This unfortunately had the knock-on effect of setting the whole clip base at an angle and reducing the upward travel of the clip, not allowing it to remain closed as a result.
The new spacers have moved the whole clip base away from the hood by equal amounts so I've killed two birds with one stone-alignment and travel distance.
It requires more strength than my wife can manage to close it, so she won't be allowed to drive it unless it's a sunny, clear day-which almost never happens here!
So you can say I've killed three birds with one stone!

Cheers

Alan