Leather in a cold climate

Talk about the E-Type Series 1
User avatar

Topic author
Dad
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:31 pm
Location: Vancouver Island
Canada

#1 Leather in a cold climate

Post by Dad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 am

I live in Alberta and round about now it's starting to get COOOOLLLLDD! I would love to store my e in a gorgeous, luxury, heated four car workshop, but that isn't an option this winter. I have bumped up the antifreeze levels to accommodate the burgeoning freeze, have added fuel stabilizer but have also been told to treat the leather to stop it possibly cracking. I don't plan on sitting on it during the cold, but was wondering;

Can anyone recommend a good leather treatment to keep it supple and crack free during cold weather? I was thinking maybe good old-fashioned dubbin, like me dad used on his Hawkins walking boots all those years ago?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#2

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:06 am

Dubbin is greasy and you wouldn't want to sit on it. Rob Laughton your fellow Canadian is 'Mr Leatherique' in the Great White North. What he doesn't know about leather treatment isn't worth knowing. If you don't succeed with Google or an archive search here or on www.jag-lovers.org let me know.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

neil4444
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: East Sussex
Great Britain

#3

Post by neil4444 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:05 am

I use Gliptone conditioner. It plumps up the leather beautifully & gives it that new leather smell again.

Neil
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


the doc
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:30 pm

#4

Post by the doc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:28 am

Use a product that does not contain silicone . I live in Toronto and I buy lexol from eshine.ca


Gary
63fhc
887465

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic