Page 1 of 1
#1 To poly or not to poly?
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:19 pm
by PaulColeman
That is the question. Is it better to replace the rubber bushes on the suspension with poly equivalents or is it better to stick to the rubber ones? I'm a long way off putting my suspension back on the car but I want to start collecting bits...
Paul.
#2
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:49 pm
by abowie
One vote for all poly. Nice and firm and precise.
#3
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 pm
by Heuer
Rubber without doubt. Jaguar and Norman Dewis did thousands of test miles and came up with what they thought was the ideal setting for space, grace and space. Then some twonk comes along and says this new bit is better but provides no proof and no test miles. I will admit that poly bushes last longer than rubber but at a cost. Do you want a hot hatch or an E-Type?
#4
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:06 pm
by christopher storey
Sorry, don't agree with David. I agree with him to this extent : don't go for harder than standard bushes . In every other way, however, poly have huge advantages in that they do not degrade in the way that natural rubber does - and BTW I have not so far ever experienced the noises that some people complain about with polybushes
#5
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:59 pm
by Heuer
I concur with my learned friend, for the most part. For longevity polybushes reign supreme but do you really need 20 years of trouble free motoring during your E-Type ownership? I forgot about the squeaking from the suspension because after 25,000 miles of creaks I went back to rubber and have never looked back. Longevity apart no one has come up with a good reason to fit polyurethane to an E-Type - does not improve handling, feel or ride comfort. They may last forever but we don't.
#6
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 am
by christopher storey
Heuer wrote: They may last forever but we don't.
Oh, David, are you reaching that age ? I reached the " this will see us out" philosophy about 5 years ago , and nothing in the interim has convinced me I was wrong !