Page 1 of 1

#1 Headlight dipper switch

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 pm
by andrewh
I just discovered my original headlight dipper switch has a lose conta t on a couple of the spades on the back. Probably caused by over zealous pulling off of the spade terminals. Past experience of this problem leads me to believe it will not work properly and short around the lose rivet. So question is has anyone bought a new made switch and if so how does it match up to the original?

#2

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 am
by Mark Gordon
I bought one from XK's Unlimited in the U.S. a few years ago. The contacts on the back didn't match up with the original, but a few minutes with an ohmmeter sorted out which wires went where and then it otherwise fit and worked perfectly.

#3 Re: Headlight dipper switch

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:33 am
by PeterCrespin
andrewh wrote:I just discovered my original headlight dipper switch has a lose conta t on a couple of the spades on the back. Probably caused by over zealous pulling off of the spade terminals?
Can't you just scratch back to shiny metal and tap the rivet a little tighter then solder for better electrical contact?

#4

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:50 am
by Heuer
SNGB version looks reasonably accurate:
Image

#5

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:40 pm
by andrewh
thanks guys, as always. I have ordered an SNGB as its only ?12 or so, and will try to see whether I can re rivet the original tab but there is plastic under neath it, so may prove tricky perhaps a dab of solder will suffice, there again, bound to fail when I least need it! hope the SNGB one will be ok. thanks

#6

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 pm
by andrewh
Ok so I just carried out a full wiring check and have only one problem in that my cigarette lighter has a short. It appears that the contacts at the bottom which the actual removable part of the cigar lighter contacts with when You push it in move out to contact the outer shell and cause a short. Can buy a new cigar unit I guess but just wondered whether anyone had experienced the same problem and sorted a fix? I tried to bend the contact away from the side but as soon as you push the centre in you get the same problem. Am I missing an insulation washer perhaps?