Page 1 of 1

#1 Engine & Gearbox swap 66 E type 2+2 automatic

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:09 pm
by JD-JAG66
Hello everybody,
Am new to the forum, well, have to be, only last week bought a 1966 2+2 auto (well, the remains thereof).
Why a 2+2??? Well occasionally it is nice to take more then one person with you.
So restoration has to begin....To start with, since there is no engine, only a gearbox, a swap with a donor 1984 XJ6 which only has 55.000miles.
The idea is to swap the engine and gearbox over. I already found (a lot of browsing!) out that engine wise, it will fit. Have to buy an e type sump and oil pick up pipe, and need to fit the alternator somewhere else.
Exhaust wise I have a local guy that makes "tailor" made exhausts, so this should be fine.

Questions.
1. Will the gearbox of the XJ6 fit the E type? Which mountings to fit? Fabricate something?
2. What do I need to do to the alternator exactly (Which parts to buy. Which parts to fabricate)

Cheers,

Have a nice day everybody
JD

#2 XJ engine swap

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:34 pm
by jag68
JD Being in Italy (lucky you) I suspect that you are not a member of JCNA (Jaguar Clubs on North America). In the March/April 2014 edition of it's magazine "Jaguar Journal" is an article entitled "XJ to E-Type engine swap" written by Peter Crespin. It's very detailed and a good read for you. Peter is a frequent contributor to this Forum. His address is: pcrespin@jcna.comIf you don't have access to the Journal he may be able to get you his article in another manner.
I've installed a number of XJ engines in E types (looking for the stronger block and bigger valves)but always used the bits off the original motor - like water pump etc. I can't tell you anything about the automatic transmission other than to say that from looking at parts manuals the rear mounting system appear to be the same principles as the stock automatic. If it fits and you can get the shifter to exit in the right location I can't see why a rear mount couldn't be fabricated if necessary.

Alternator mounts for a stock alternator are available new (SNG, XK's Unlimited etc.). Can't tell you if it will fit an XJ6 alternator however. Stock Lucas E Type alternators can be hard to come by - they had a high rate of self immolation, but it's easy to adapt a more modern one. Again various sources sell "kits" for doing this, and it's the route I'd go. (the only on road failure I've had in 250,000 miles of E Type driving has been the Lucas alternator - three times - the last time an internal short on a rebuilt unit that melted the aluminum bridge that holds the diodes - yikes)

Good luck

#3 Engine & gearbox swap 66 E type 2+2 automatic

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:56 am
by JD-JAG66
First of all, thank you very much for helping me out anyway, even though I am, as you suspected, not a member of the JCNA.
I will definitely get in contact with Mr. Crespin in order to obtain his article, since I will need all the help I can get.
Nice to hear that you did 250.000 miles of E-type driving with, so to speak, only minor problems, although I hope I won?t have any melting aluminum in my engine bay!
Will publish a picture in the XJ6 forum, since I have just brought home the one I bought for the engine, and it has some peculiar knobs inside the glovebox, which even the previous owner could not tell me what they were for.

Have a great day
Jan
1966 E type 2+2
1984 XJ6 4.2 Sovereign

#4 Re: Engine & Gearbox swap 66 E type 2+2 automatic

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:07 pm
by Kember17
Jan,

I hope all well and the trials and tribulations of dealing with ASI have not worn you down too much.

If I may resurrect this thread, I'm several months behind you on restoring my 1966 2+2 but have now sourced a XJ6 SIII engine and auto gearbox, and will be following Peter Crespin's advice from the JCNA magazine article you showed me.

As well as the engine, I have the E-type sump, E-type exhaust manifolds and a Jenvey ITB set up for the EFI.

I was wondering what you have done for the propellor shaft. My car was 'lumped' with an SBC and GM gearbox, so I'll need to source a new one, or at least have some work done on the one I've inherited if it is still long enough, given that I still have the original IRS at one end. I've done some fossicking here and elsewhere but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to which the correct one to use is. IIRC the 2+2 came with a BW8 but the XJ6 SIII is a BW 66. Does the original 2+2 shaft work or is something else required please?

Thanks for any advice you might have

Peter