Page 1 of 1

#1 Tracing history on 885175

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am
by peters3103
Hi chaps,
I am the owner of E Type FHC 885175. Originally Bronze but now Golden Sand with Beige interior. I imported this car into Australia from Cornwall UK in 2008. (Sold on consignment by Cornwall Classic Car Hire). I have a history file (receipts, mot's etc) from the previous owner dating back to about 1998 and the name of the owner before him (who I can't contact) but have nothing else other than a heritage certificate which states the car was dispatched in November 1961 to Jaguar Cars New York. It was reportedly returned to the UK in 1989 and fully restored by M&C Wilkinson (including right hand drive conversion) and later purchased by a German collector. This latter information was provided in the advertisement by the seller so I don't know how accurate it is. I would love to trace the cars history but am unsure about where to start. Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The E Type remains in mostly original specification with original engine but has been fitted with an all synchro gearbox, series 2 brakes, 6 branch manifold and Kenlowe fan.

Cheers,
Pete.

#2

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm
by Heuer
I assume you started here: http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=885175 ? Other than that I can't offer much other help unless you know what the US registration plate was. WSU 288 is a non age related plate which was probably bought from one of the many reg number specialists in the UK.

#3

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 pm
by christopher storey
WSU 288 is a number which almost certainly will have been issued by the DVLA when the car was first reimported to the UK - these redundant Scottish index numbers are the ones always used . If you know of any other UK registration number of this car , you can probably obtain copies of the documents in the registry from the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Authority, Swansea, UK by writing to them with WSU 288 and any other number of which you know . There is a fee payable which IIRC is either ?5 or ? 10 sterling . Of course, given the history the UK documents may not tell you any more than you already know . If you try asking this question on the Jaglovers website, you will probably receive advice about how to trace the US history