Electrical Advice sought
#1 Electrical Advice sought
Hi,
I have connected up 90% of my electrics up to my new loom (only dizzy & fan remaining) and have finally dared to connect up to the battery. As soon as I turn the key the ammeter buzzes & needle pings from central point towards discharge every few seconds. I appreciate it's nigh on impossible for an online diagnosis but does anyone have any pointers as to what may be causing this ? I thought that as it was consistently 'pinging' it may be the flasher unit but removing that has made no difference.
Cheers,
I have connected up 90% of my electrics up to my new loom (only dizzy & fan remaining) and have finally dared to connect up to the battery. As soon as I turn the key the ammeter buzzes & needle pings from central point towards discharge every few seconds. I appreciate it's nigh on impossible for an online diagnosis but does anyone have any pointers as to what may be causing this ? I thought that as it was consistently 'pinging' it may be the flasher unit but removing that has made no difference.
Cheers,
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Petrol pump? Clock? Suggest you take out all the fuses and replace them one by one until you have isolated the circuit. Work at diagnosis from there.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Thanks David. Traced the issue back to Fuse 7 then to green wire leading to heater fan switch. All wiring looks to be correct so now suspect faulty switch.
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Actually, now suspecting the instrument voltage stabiliser !
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
Easy to test - should read 10.4v on the output. Use an analogue multimeter if you can to get a stable voltage. Usually they just fail rather than give odd symptoms. There is a schematic in the upgrade Forum so you can put together a solid state version (two components ~?2) inside the original casing, if you are in any doubt.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#6
As david said. Also, if you only have a digital multimeter, the reading of the output should oscillate between about 8 volts and 12 volts
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
Forgot to mention (minor point !!!) as part of the re-wire I'm converting from pos to neg earth. I've looked at the JCNA guide but am unclear on whether the wiring of the instrument voltage stabiliser remains as-is ?
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
The only thing you need to change polarity on is the ammeter (and the generator, obviously).
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
Below is an mp4 of how my ammeter is behaving...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97x4yi1tf5k9t ... 6.mp4?dl=0
I've traced it back to the instrument voltage stabiliser which is buzzing every few seconds. However I can't think what will be causing it to buzz. I have replaced it with another stabiliser & still exactly the same issue.
Anyone any thoughts ?
Cheers,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97x4yi1tf5k9t ... 6.mp4?dl=0
I've traced it back to the instrument voltage stabiliser which is buzzing every few seconds. However I can't think what will be causing it to buzz. I have replaced it with another stabiliser & still exactly the same issue.
Anyone any thoughts ?
Cheers,
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10
Disconnect the VR and see if it still happens. If it does trace the wires from the VR which should only feed the fuel gauge and the water temp gauge - nothing else!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



