Page 1 of 1
#1 Girling 64054173 markings
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 am
by bopperd
I'm wondering if anyone has some close-up photos of an original Girling 64054173 front shock, showing the stampings. Some NOS Girlings have been seen for sale lately and I would like to know exactly what I'm looking at. Thanks.
#2
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 pm
by Heuer
All the information and photos we have on the Girling shocks is here:
viewtopic.php?t=3632&highlight=girling+shocks
#3
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm
by bopperd
Thanks for the reply, David. I did peruse this thread prior to my post, but there's nothing on the original gray Girling shocks showing the stampings. I will keep looking.
#4
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 pm
by Heuer
There is this one with a partial view showing 'EADS':

#5
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 pm
by bopperd
I did see that shot, and wished that it showed the complete stampings. From the colour I'm guessing its from a later car, and not the early gray models.
#6
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:39 pm
by Heuer
Late untouched 3.8 -
viewtopic.php?t=2006 All the Girling shocks were painted blue grey. I have the Girling catalogue somewhere which gives the part numbers stamped on the shock. I will dig it out and post what I find.
#7
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:13 pm
by Heuer
Full catalogue here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/849 ... 11%202.pdf
According to Porter the shocks were Girling 640-541-37 (as used in the saloons) up to #850321, #860121, #876394 and #885334 and then NFP.640-542-98 (4298 being the ID code).
Dave - There is no Girling shock with the number "64054173" only 64054137 so I assume you transposed the 7 and 3?
#8
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:24 pm
by bopperd
Thanks for your response, and for the Girling catalog. There appears to be a dispute between Porter, Jaguar, and Girling. On page 88 of J30, the correct shock for my car (876024) is 640-541-73. The Girling catalog shows 4137, but not 4173. Hmmm... 4298 is correct for S1 OTS 876395 and subsequent.
#9
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:49 pm
by Heuer
Discount Porter as he was repeating Jaguar. The number 4137 appears twice in the 1976 Girling catalogue:
I would venture to suggest the Girling version is correct because it has been updated twice annually up to 1976 so any reported mistakes would have been corrected. As the same shock was used on Jaguar and Daimler saloons you could check their SPC's and see if the mistake is replicated or not. I reckon the J30 is a misprint.
#10
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:55 pm
by bopperd
David,
Just to be difficult I did a search in the Girling catalog for part number 4324, which, according to page 98 of J30, is the correct rear shock for my car. No such number. Even swapped some digits around and got nothing. So who's got this wrong?
#11
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 pm
by bopperd
David,
I can't thank you enough for your input. I agree, Jaguar is incorrect. You saved me a ton of time searching for shocks that don't exist. I owe you.
#12
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:08 pm
by Heuer
The 1976 Girling catalogue makes no mention of the early E-Type, just "3.1961 on", presumably because 4298 and 4299 were super-cession parts. Only way to be sure is to find a 1961 or 1962 Girling catalogue and maybe they will be listed.
#13
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 am
by bopperd
I turned Planet Earth upside down and shook it - no '61 or '62 Girling shock catalogues to be found. I have, however, tracked down two 4298 front shocks - one in New York, the other in Wisconsin. Last two NOS shocks for sale in this part of the solar system as far as I can tell. Thanks for all your help.
Dave
#14 Re:
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:42 pm
by wagstefan
bopperd wrote: ↑Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 pm
David,
I can't thank you enough for your input. I agree, Jaguar is incorrect. You saved me a ton of time searching for shocks that don't exist. I owe you.
Just digged out this thread....
Early E-Types were fitted with Girlings 6405 4173, just to keep the story straight.
And they seem to have been black. At least with the ones from 875521. And they don't look to have been repainted at some point of time (later addition to the post: it seems to be that there might have been two colours for these shocks? Black and grey/blue-ish as previously known - at least it looks like with the shocks from 885013 before the restoration started)