Next step in the restoration will be the purchase and fitting of a new hood.
What recommendations are there please for the maker of a quality made and accurate new hood.
We are situated in North Oxfordshire and will also be seeking an experienced local person to fit the hood,does anyone have any suggestions ?
The car is not yet driveable hence the need for someone to come to us.
Any suggestions will be much welcomed.
New hood - recommendations for maker and fitting.
#2
You need to look at the holy trinity of Nuneaton - Suffolk & Turkey, MCT and GB Trimming.
For hoods I would speak to Stan Swan at GB trim because I have seen his work on hoods. You need to find someone who can do the job of making sure the chrome hood rail completely covers the screen chrome trim and that is rare. Only one I have seen was up with Ken Verity (an OBL car) and that was done by Stan. viewtopic.php?t=6260&highlight=stan
Be aware proper hood fiting is not cheap and the waiting list is long so get it booked in now if you want the car for the summer.
For hoods I would speak to Stan Swan at GB trim because I have seen his work on hoods. You need to find someone who can do the job of making sure the chrome hood rail completely covers the screen chrome trim and that is rare. Only one I have seen was up with Ken Verity (an OBL car) and that was done by Stan. viewtopic.php?t=6260&highlight=stan
Be aware proper hood fiting is not cheap and the waiting list is long so get it booked in now if you want the car for the summer.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
MarkE
- Posts: 884
- Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 pm
- Location: Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
- Contact:

#3
David (B). I had my S3 hood replaced by CMC 3 years ago, and they did a fabulous job. I wanted a hood as close to original as possible, the vinyl / Everflex material rather than the double duck / mohair materials loved by all cats for sharpening their claws!
The only difference to the original is that the rear screen is stitched in rather than welded, but that difference is hard to see. When I collected the car, the hood fit was perfect; very tight when up, but easy to put up...the sign of a well fitted hood. Three years later it's exactly the same.
As David says a custom made hood isn't cheap, and this one came out at about ?1500 or so. I just had a look through the invoice, but as I had the seats re-trimmed at the same time, I can't work out the cost exactly.
As the hood it replaced was the original, and 40 years old, I thought it a good price if it lasts that long as well!
The only difference to the original is that the rear screen is stitched in rather than welded, but that difference is hard to see. When I collected the car, the hood fit was perfect; very tight when up, but easy to put up...the sign of a well fitted hood. Three years later it's exactly the same.
As David says a custom made hood isn't cheap, and this one came out at about ?1500 or so. I just had a look through the invoice, but as I had the seats re-trimmed at the same time, I can't work out the cost exactly.
As the hood it replaced was the original, and 40 years old, I thought it a good price if it lasts that long as well!
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |


