Page 1 of 1

#1 Bonnet removal

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 am
by Roger's E Type
1966 Series 1 2+2 4.2 4sp

Hi all,
I apologise if this topic has been covered before. I have searched through forum topics and found posts that refer to the fact that there are posts covering it - but have not been able to find the actual posts.
At some point soon I want to remove the bonnet from my Series 1. Various workshop manuals suggest removing it by unbolting the adjusting blocks on the bonnet itself - with warnings as to the difficulty of re-aligning when fitting again.
However, it looks to me that it could be removed (with some man power to assist) by just by unbolting the two bolts the act as the bonnet pivot point on the subframe. Presumably therefore avoiding the re - alignment issue.
I understand that the bonnet is heavy. The idea being to tilt it forward, prior to removing the bolts, onto a thin mattress and rope it loosely to the garage wall.
Remove the bolts and use the "help" to manoeuvre the bonnet for storage.
What am I missing?
Cheers, Roger

#2

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:30 am
by mgcjag
Hi Roger...here is the post u are looking for viewtopic.php?t=6058&highlight=bonnet+remove when i remove mine i have a large skateboard made up covered in carpet that i can stand the bonnet upright on (bumper up) can then be wheeled around the garage.......it is heavy but 2 reasonably can move it....good luck Steve

#3

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:36 am
by David Oslo
Roger

I can confirm that if you follow the instructions on the other thread it really is a 10 minute job. Two bolts on the support springs and two on the pivots, unplug the cable. Job done!

I will be using the method in the future when doing any decenet amount of work under the bonnet. Those 10 minutues of time are paid back many times over in much easier access, and no banged head and back.

#4 Bonnet Removal

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:06 pm
by Roger's E Type
Thank you Steve and David for your help. I knew it had to be there somewhere! Seems so simple compared to the way suggested in the manuals!
Cheers, Roger