Page 1 of 1

#1 Replacing rear brake cylinders & pistons

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 am
by PhilipM
Recently introduced myself and sure enough I have my first question about this 1966 S1 I am getting back on the road

Rear brakes are seized up, though back end otherwise looks good so I want to avoid dropping the rear suspension.

Have been able to access all 4 bolts on each of the four cylinders in order to remove. The problem though is removing the brake lines and inspite of copious Plusgas and heating, still no joy. So getting to the point where I'm thinking of cutting the pipes. i see that it is possible to buy a new set of copper pipes for under ?100. Has anyone fitted these?

Also my plan is to fit exchange reconditioned pistons and callipers as done by Moss. Again any views on these bearing in mind intention is to keep car in standard unrestored condition?

#2 Re: Replacing rear brake cylinders & pistons

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:50 am
by abowie
PhilipM wrote: i see that it is possible to buy a new set of copper pipes for under ?100. Has anyone fitted these?
I bought one of these kits once. What you get is a box of generic pipes of the correct length but not bent to shape.

#3

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:33 am
by PhilipM
Andrew, that's what it looked like from the photos. How difficult was it bending the pipes to shape?

#4

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 pm
by paydase
In principle should be easy if you route the tube as designed and you need a specific tool to bend the tube (avoiding then to flaten it).
Also the copper tube should have been freshly annealed (I guess it is sold as such) to be sufficiently malleable. It will become harder after bending and with aging.

#5

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:43 pm
by ralphr1780
Philip,
I have just been busy renewing the brakes on my S1.
Have bought and fitted a set of new copper brake pipes set which are cut to size (also one for clutch). Very easy to fit and bend with no special tool required except a small pulley(="une simple poulie"). I simply shaped first as close as possible to the old set, then adjusted further upon fitting.
As for callipers+pistons have opted for new instead of reconditioned, price difference being rather thin.
Have also opted for the EBC-Greenstuff pads, based on the numerous positive experience reported by other fellows. And can confirm they do require little trimming first, made some pics which will post separately.

#6

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:17 pm
by abowie
PhilipM wrote:Andrew, that's what it looked like from the photos. How difficult was it bending the pipes to shape?
Very easy to do by hand. I didn't end up fitting them though as it turns out that copper brake pipes are not legal in Australia. They must be steel ("Bundy tube") so I reused some and had others made up.