Page 1 of 1

#1 Centre console removal (one more...)

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:23 am
by paydase
I have looked into the relevant threads but I couldn't succed in removing my centre console using the tips given.

So I first removed the centre arm rest and the gear gaiter, then engaged the rear gear (also tried 4th gear) and pulled the hand brake to clear up the way as much as possible ... to no avail, even by twisting the console sideways!

Image

I understand that the trick is tthen to release the handbrake cable from the lever but I don't see on which nut to act to do it certainly and simply.

Image

Thanks for giving indications.

#2

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:27 am
by Heuer
You need to release the handbrake cable from the rear calipers - easy to do by removing the split pin and withdrawing the pivot. You will then be able move the handbrake almost to the vertical.

#3

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:32 am
by chrisvine
I had similar problems but took out the clevis pin at the other end, at the handbrake mechanism on the IRS.

Even then I had trouble, so I simply removed the four screws attaching the handbrake lever.

#4

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:45 am
by paydase
OK, the other way round then..
Thank you.
Do I have to crawl under the IRS to access it?

#5

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:20 am
by Heuer
Yes.

#6

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:34 am
by abowie
paydase wrote:OK, the other way round then..
Thank you.
Do I have to crawl under the IRS to access it?
No. The clevis pin is at the front of the IRS. Remove the split pin and knock it out. If you have the handbrake off when you do it you don't have to fight against tension in the cable.

Looking at your picture I reckon it should just about come off as it is, by tilting the console up from behind. Sometimes you need to be a little rough.