Page 1 of 1

#1 Head rest

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:39 am
by Chris Blunt
Has anyone tried to remove the headrest on a 65 4.2. ?

I suspect the only way is to remove the seat back and open it up from the bottom.

Thanks. Chris.

#2

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:53 pm
by Gfhug
Hi Chris, I had problems removing one my headrests, if yours are the same as the S2 then the control to how easily they slide up and down is the width/thickness of the stem. Thinner and wider makes them fit easier, tweaked them in a vice.
But to get the awkward one out meant taking the seat back off and undoing some of the lower part of the cover, then could thump away at the stem from inside. Not pretty and left a few scratches on my arms. Be careful of damaging the cover.

Geoff

#3

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:07 pm
by Chris Blunt
Thanks Geoff, yes you are correct, there seems to be a spring steel part inside that is causing friction. The sponge inside the headrest has turn to powder hence the need to remove it.
Chris

Chris.

#4

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:18 am
by Chris Blunt
Completing the story of the headrest sponge which has completely turned to powder, I finally took the bull by the horn, removed the seats, opened up about 10 staples at the base, slid up the inside a lenght of 2x1 inch wood until it connected with the base of the metal shaft of the headrest then with a lump hammer bashed it out. No damage thankfully and hopefully I won't need to worry about it for another 50 years.

#5

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 pm
by PeterCrespin
They shouldn't be present on a 65 anyhow. I'd have removed them. Presumably either your seats are Series 1.5 or 2 (or3?) recliners or only the seat backs are from a later car.

#6

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:43 pm
by Chris Blunt
Probably a series 2 seats, they only fold forward, Chris.

#7

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:29 pm
by Gfhug
S2 seats recline also to give a range of seat back angles, Geoff

#8

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:12 pm
by PeterCrespin
Chris Blunt wrote:Probably a series 2 seats, they only fold forward, Chris.
If they only fall forward they are S1. Sounds like they are hybrids with S2/S3 backs.

#9

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 am
by Chris Blunt
Strange but probably true.
My car has spent its life since 1969 in Spain and unfortunately I know little of its history since then. I've owned it for just over a year. Chris