Page 1 of 1

#1 Etype into a Race Car

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:57 pm
by art_of_war
Hello dear all,

I have an idea, which will not necessarily come true, but I just want to understand what to look at, and would appreciate a piece of advice. What if I decided to turn my E-type ( E-type series 1, 1962 ) into a race (track) car. What company would you suggest to contact for such parts as:

-wheels
-roll cage
-gearbox
-suspension
-brakes
-exhaust
-engine reinforcement and cooling
etc....

What would you think a budget of such conversion would be? parts, work, both?

Thank you!

#2

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:12 pm
by Heuer

#3

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:22 pm
by art_of_war
Hello Heuer, how are you? Thank you!

#4

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:26 pm
by Heuer
Fine thank you Art - trust you are well and enjoying your FHC. Some more links for you:

Dennis Welch Motorsport: http://www.bighealey.co.uk/category/catalogues/jaguar
M&C Wilkinson: http://www.jaguar-spares-uk.co.uk/
Cambridge Motorsports: http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/historic/73823

You may want to follow this thread where a member is preparing his car for racing: viewtopic.php?t=6087

#5

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 am
by Vegard
I've checked. If converting a series 1 to a proper FIA race car, you're looking at ?100.000.
I guess you could do it cheaper but it won't be competitive at all or fun.

#6

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:35 am
by PeterCrespin
Vegard wrote:I've checked. If converting a series 1 to a proper FIA race car, you're looking at ?100.000.
I guess you could do it cheaper but it won't be competitive at all or fun.
Competitive, maybe not, but fun bears no relation to budget if you just want to be out there on track instead of spectating.

You can have fantastic mid-field or lower-order battles on a shoestring, or even dead last where it's just you and the machine against the track. Let the six-figure guys play tag at the front and just enjoy yourself to begin with. You'll figure out where the limitations of your machinery are and the fun is in gradually extending the envelope of performance for driver and car with no pressure to place well with top-dollar equipment.

You could spend ?100,000 and still be blown away by a great driver in a car of much cheaper spec.

#7

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:17 pm
by Vegard
I wholeheartedly agree, as I've been beating more expensive cars when racing myself. To be honest, if you'd like the fun of racing, not being "competitive". Buy something else and keep the E for the road.
I'd reccomend a Mini, but building a Mini has become a ?20.000 job as well lately..

Wheels, brakes, gearbox, and an engine that can turn 6500rpms for hours.....
It's not done for ?10.000
It will end in misery.

Here's my ?10.000 Mini vs a ?40.000 Elan
http://www.historisk-racing.no/admin/co ... ileID=9322

#8 Thanks

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11 pm
by art_of_war
Thank you all,

There is no need to meet FIA standarts for me,

The idea is to be able to enjoy the car on track, if I decide to do it, but not to compete in actual races

#9 Re: Thanks

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 pm
by PeterCrespin
art_of_war wrote:The idea is to be able to enjoy the car on track, if I decide to do it, but not to compete in actual races
In which case, do nothing more than Jaguar say in their competition booklet, especially rear brake cooling. Once you are being held back by the car's capability, report back with the problem and we'll help. Then proceed from there until you are fast enough for something else to be holding you back. And so on.