Page 1 of 2

#1 Antifreeze

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:07 pm
by mccreith123
Any advice on the best type of antifreeze to use on a series 1 E type would be much appreciated.

#2

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:44 pm
by adam
I use Bluecol and change it every 2 years.

Adam

#3 Antifreeze

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:37 pm
by cactusman
I use the blue concentrate from Halfords. Other motor factors are available!!!

#4

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:29 pm
by richard btype
Martin/Julian

We are each from Hertfordshire with series 1 FHC! :D

#5

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:49 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Martin...any non addative Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze ....Bluecol is ideal...use it all year round as an inhibitor to prevent engine corrosion

#6 Antifreeze

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:03 pm
by cactusman
Hello Richard

I am in Hertfordshire just outside Hemel Hempstead.

1962 3.8 FHC. Far from concourse but running and with an MOT!!! Was originally Opalescent dark blue but now Sherwood (I think) green. Colour changed by a previous owner but has original engine and gearbox.

An almost life long dream fulfilled three years back. You are welcome to drop by in yours :lol:

#7

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:33 pm
by richard btype
Julian

Unfortunately mine failed the mot on fairly minor items last year (weeping diff and steering rack mounts) and as I plan to have it restored in 2017 and so little spare time in 2016, have more or less decided to park her up!

Mind you its driving me mad, and might just find myself dropping the rear subframe and fitting some new seals!

I'm a few miles from Hertford if you find yourself in the area and there is always the famous 1st Sunday in the month meeting at 'The Goat' in Hertford Heath where one or two E types turn up when the weather is kind!

What month was yours built and the chassis number?

#8 Hertford heath

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:11 pm
by cactusman
Hi. Mine failed on the dreaded oil seals last year. I chickened out and got an garage to fix. I will most certainly try and get to Hertford heath. A nice ride out although not tomorrow as the weather is awful.

Mine is chassis no 860523 DOM 8th May 1962 so a month or so younger than yours. Hope you get yours fixed and good luck with the restoration. I kind of plan to restore mine when I finally retire.

J

#9 Hertford heath

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:35 pm
by cactusman
Googled the meet. Looks good. I will definitely get there when the weather improves. Right now my tacho and clock are on the window sill. I have rebuilt the clock with a clocks4classics module to replace the contacts. Works like a dream. Just getting the time right.

And the tacho innards were scraped out and the LM2914 based frequency to voltage converter circuit added...there is a thread elsewhere with the circuit. I made my own PCB. Works fine so I will have a reasonably accurate tacho and a clock that ticks!!! A novelty in an E type!!

#10

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:23 pm
by David Oslo
Here's the thread with the LM2914 / LM2917 circuit layout
viewtopic.php?t=292&postdays=0&postorde ... er&start=0

#11 Antifreeze

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:51 pm
by cactusman
Thanks. Copy and paste on my tablet is fraught with issues and I could not paste the link.

Circuit works fine. I did use a 5 watt 20 volt zener diode though and changed the 10 ohm resistor to 22 ohms.

#12 Hertford Heath

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 pm
by mccreith123
Hi Richard/Julian

Just read your posts! I've never been to Hertford Heath, but look forward to in good weather. Interested to see our cars are so close in manufacture.
Thanks to all for the antifreeze advice.

Chassis number 860840
DOM 27th August 1962

Martin

#13

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:19 pm
by rossbraithwaite
mgcjag wrote:Hi Martin...any Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze ....Bluecol is ideal...use it all year round as an inhibitor to prevent engine corrosion
Is this still correct? I have read advice elsewhere on here and elsewhere on the 'net about antifreeze containing OAT not being compatible with silicone hoses. I had just refilled my system with Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze containing OAT having read this advice and have since drained it for fear of damaging all the hoses!

#14

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:01 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Ross....you should not be using antifreez with OAT addatives... Blucol is a ideal IAT product

#15

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:07 pm
by rossbraithwaite
Thanks Steve, I have bought some Bluecol. I am currently flushing the system with water and will refill with Bluecul ASAP.
Thanks,
Ross

#16

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:10 pm
by mgcjag
What did you use..

#17

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 pm
by tim wood
Just bought mine from eBay the seller is "carpartssaver"

Concentrate stuff at ?12.29 for 5l delivered



Tim

#18

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:13 pm
by Gfhug

#19

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:12 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Everyone

I'm about to change my coolant-it's a bit overdue at 5 years and counting.
I've read the thread and have decided to plump for Bluecol. Now two questions:-

I can get it cheapest on Amazon:-


Is this IAT or OAT? From what people have already said I'm fairly sure it's the former and OK for the cylinder head.

Second question and I feel a bit of a dummy for asking but what is the recommended proportion of water to antifreeze for the XK engine. It needs a total of 32litres to fill the system and I was thinking 1/3 glycol to 2/3 water. Infuriatingly the Haynes manual only states that the concentration should be to the manufacturer's recommendation but omits to say what that is!

Cheers

Alan

#20

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:37 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Alan just loom up Bluecol and the data sheet... http://bluecol.co.uk/index.php/nevonpro ... ears-2-5l/