Page 1 of 1

#1 Differences on first production cars??

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:19 pm
by commemorative74
I have recently been offered a very early Series One Roadster (one of the first 40 ) although it has been restored at some point it does seem to be quite original.
Whilst viewing the vehicle and trying to ascertain just how original it is I noticed a slight difference with regards to its bodywork compared to a few other early cars I own.
The two points I would like clarification on are:
1.The under dash panels - where the steering column is bolted on, on my other cars the steel panel is completely flat, but on this particular car there is a semi circular recess that will enable the steering column to be moved upwards without fouling.
2. On my other cars, just to the right of where the steering column is bolted there is a rectangular "hole" probably about 4" x 3" and I am sure if you had child sized hands you could easily access the windscreen washer tubing / nuts. However on this vehicle it had a much larger aperture, probably about 7" x 4".

I am now thinking to myself is this correct for the so called pre production models or when the car was restored was the bulkhead replaced for possibly a late Series 1 /1 1/2 ?? I do not have access to any of the late vehicles to check - hopefully someone out there could advise?

Thank you, Alex

#2

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:55 am
by Heuer
Have you looked through the 'Factory Fit' thread? As regards point 2 this post may help: viewtopic.php?t=2006&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=161

#3

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:16 pm
by paulsco
Hi Alex,

I have been trying to find a photo, but I am reasonably sure you are describing a Series two bulkhead. The bigger hole is so that the left hand drive cars can be fitted with AC and I vaguely recolect that there is a stering column recess.

Paul

#4

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:30 pm
by paulsco
I dont know if this will help:

http://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/mai ... continues/

About half way down the page.

Paul

#5

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:21 pm
by commemorative74
Thanks Paul and David for getting back to me. I had a long chat with the owner of the car and I mentioned my findings with regards the bulkhead.
He miraculously remembered (but failed to let me know on my first visit) that the car "had a few panels replaced during the 1980's".
I have done some further investigation and I am fairly certain the bulkhead is from a Series 2.
Obviously not ideal with regards to originality but realistically, when it comes to these early cars, the majority of them have had replacement engines / panels / interiors etc etc.
It now comes down to price!!

#6

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 am
by ralphr1780
Major difference between bulkhead and engines/panels/interiors replacement.

#7

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 am
by paulsco
Alex,

I think the bulkhead is the heart of the bodyshell and if this needed replacing then not much of what is left is likely to be original.
Maybe even a different shell.

It is clear the seller was economic with the truth, so what else is he hiding.
If it was me, I would walk away.

Paul

#8

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:53 pm
by richard btype
Paul

Possibly a bit harsh to assume the vendor is being uneconomical with the truth?

Restoration standards and parts availability was on a wholly different level in the 80's and it could depend on what the restorer at that time was recommending...

#9

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:50 pm
by paulsco
Ok Richard; I withdraw that remark. The current owner may not even know the full extent of the work.

However, this is an early car and its value I would assume to a large extent, is based on its originality. A bulkhead is a very large part of the shell and I would assume it must have had very very extensive restoration or replacement shell.

Paul