Page 1 of 1

#1 Repair of broken mounting brackets to S1 horns

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:21 pm
by dbarnes
The mounting brackets on the horns are broken. As they are made of strips of steel riveted together and to the horn body I would like to know what repairs are worthwhile:
i. what is the purpose of the composite structure of the brackets?
ii. as the steel strips are thin would using thicker steel still work but be more robust?

dbarnes

#2

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:51 pm
by PeterCrespin
Put year and model in your signature please, I have no idea which horn type you're referring to.

The laminated horn mount construction ensures a better sound by allowing controlled flex. There are still some original brackets available new but those might be for the wrong type of horn.

#3 Repair of broken mounting brackets to S1 horns

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:38 pm
by dbarnes
Hi
My car is 1962, no 850411, OTS
dbarnes

#4

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:05 pm
by andrewh
Nice early RHD Roadster. I used to own 850320.

I suspect that an added function of the spring brackets was to relive road judder from damaging the horn internals, and reduce vibration being transferred back to the frame. They are pretty loud those wind tones. I wonder why yours have broken? Anyway, they are available as reproductions and not that rare if you attend Beaulieu or even this months Stonleigh.

#5 Repair of broken mounting brackets to S1 horns

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20 pm
by dbarnes
Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

I have four horns here all with broken strip brackets, so I assumed it was a common weakness.

I am going to Stoneleigh on the 20th so will have a good look at what is available.

Regards

dbarnes