Page 1 of 1
#1 S1 Exhaust manifolds
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:54 pm
by AMR
My name is Eric , I am new member from Belgium and I discovered 3 weeks ago 860160
The car is very original and untouched since 1991
I thought my exhaust manifolds are not original but after watching the forum night & day I found that the very original 876032 has the same manifold than 860160
I cannot find any information about that
I thought they came from a US 4.2L with Stromberg carbs
Any information are welcome

#2
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 pm
by christopher storey
Twin Stromberg 175CD were introduced on US cars for emission purposes from about 1968 broadly in line with the introduction of the S2 cars, along with an extraordinary crossover arrangement across the top of the cylinder head to warm the mixture from the exhaust manifolds . Prior to that , all E types had 3 SU HD8 carburetters, which were much superior to the Strombergs . I think you are correct that your manifolds are not original because of the bosses on them between 5&6 cylinders and presumable 1&2, but they will make no difference to the operation of the car
#3
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:45 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Eric....just to confirm what you are saying your first photo is from the S1 factory fit section with a statement saying...
This is a totally original and un-restored 1963 OTS #879032 having covered 29k miles and had one owner until 2005 who fastidiously maintained it.
It does show manifolds that look as if they come from a stromberg car with tbe crossover unit
Any other thoughts.....
#4
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:31 am
by AMR
I made some more research and the anti pollution system is not fitted to the front exhaust manifold
This means this is something special and could be original

#5
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:42 am
by 1954Etype
However much you try and convinve yourself to the contrary, this is not original! :D
#6
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:09 pm
by PeterCrespin
AMR wrote:I made some more research and the anti pollution system is not fitted to the front exhaust manifold
This means this is something special and could be original

Not only is Angus right about non-originality, but you are twice wrong about type as well.
The pressed-steel hot air collector covered both manifolds.
Your 'research' presumably threw up the alloy rear crossover, which only affected the rear manifold. But the webbed design with a boss was fitted for the last few years of production. Certainly not to a 3.8 by the factory...
#7
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 pm
by AMR
ok many thanks
