Page 1 of 2
#1 Series 1 1/2 LHD to RHD coloum problem
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 am
by johnj
Hi all just converting my series 1 1/2 from LHD to RHD and have hit a problem with steering coloum fouling on bulkhead were pedal box sits I noticed the LH side has a recess so coloum fits in nice so do I need to do same on RH side or is there a way round this hope fully some one has done this conversion and has some help cheers John
#2
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:34 am
by christopher storey
The column should go through a bolted on carrier above the level of the top of the footwell. Both sides should be a ( more or less ) mirror image of each other, and the shells were identical for LHD and RHD cars, so there is no metal bashing involved in a changeover . The only difference I can think of between LH and RH sides is that on the right there is indeed a recess on top of the footwell, but this is not present on the LHS in LHD cars . The difference is illustrated here
:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/12%20Bo ... adster.pdf at plate 36, page 155
If you can post a picture of your problem, it may be easier to identify the trouble
#3
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:50 am
by mgcjag
Hi John....if you look in the Knowledge base section of this forum under tech info there is a section on lhd...rhd conversion...it may help
#4
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:59 am
by christopher storey
#5 Series 1 1/2 LHD to RHD column problem
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:18 pm
by skiracer
John- some of the early US spec Series 1.5 firewalls only had the cutout for the steering column on the LHD side. If you look at page 20 of the Part 4 document linked above, the top photo on that page shows the "hump" on the horizontal firewall ledge just above the steering column feed-thru. You need to make your firewall look the same to prevent the fouling you are experiencing. Likely not the answer you are looking for. You may be able to put a spacer between the column support and dash panel in the cockpit but I've no idea if that would cause other interferences.
#6
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:05 pm
by christopher storey
Doug : I'm not sure whether I have misunderstood your posting , but the "hump" is a bolt on part . It was metal up to perhaps 1967 , and then a compressed fibre type material ( I think ) , and it just bolts over the small recess which admits the rear portion of the column to the underbonnet area . I have a feeling that the difference between LHD and RHD cars is caused by the fact that RHD columns have to avoid the wiper motor area, which of course is not a problem with LHD cars, and thus the routing of the columns is slightly different . I think we need a picture of the top of the RH footwell on the car which is giving the difficulty to understand fully the nature of his problem . There are also 2 types of pedal box ( again the changeover was about the time of the S1.5 cars ) which affect the layout, certainly on RHD cars
#7 Thanks to all
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:01 am
by johnj
As i suspected i will have to make the rebate to accomodate the coloum as this shell has no recess on RH side pain but needs to be done
Clearly there are a few different types of bulkhead used in the series 1 1/2
Well better get on with it , thanks to all for your imput .
Not that savvy with the forum and have tried to find posts but no luck but have read the ones that were posted in answer to my query
#8
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:17 am
by abowie
"Gentle relief" with a hammer may be needed.
#9
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:46 am
by johnj
Unfortunatly Andrew it will require a tad more than that as the holes on the fixed panel dont line up , so I will have to cut a piece out and fabricate the panel required not fun but needs to be done
#10
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:35 pm
by PeterCrespin
Something odd going on here? I have never heard of cut 'n shut hacking about just to swap column sides. Anyone care to point out in the spares book where there are different part numbers for LHD/RHD bulkhead panels?
On occasion Jaguar themselves swapped sides for customers and I'm certain they didn't cut metal. The pedal box design was changed in 66 so it wasn't that aspect either for S1.5.
#11
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:21 pm
by 288gto
Is this the area we are talking about? This is a Lhd bulkhead and has the same indent on the right hand side.
Simon
#12
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 pm
by 1954Etype
Pete, there is a difference in the 1.5 cars according to Andy at Hutsons. They have had the same issues IIRC.
#13
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:06 pm
by paulsco
Hi John,
Not 100% sure I can envisage your problem, but I converted my 65, which has no recess, to RHD and found that the column touched the edge of the hole where it goes through the bulkhead and it was difficult to fit the steering column housing.
There were some aluminium shims under the upper column bracket which I removed for the necessary clearance.
I am not sure whether the 1.5 steering column assembly is different from the Series One; I know it changed with the Series Two, but it bolts on using the same bolt holes. The cut away appears to be for the bulky part of the Series Two outer column/lock housing??
It also appears to me that creating a cutaway would only work if the outer column (Series Two) could not be bolted fully tight because of its bulk. I think the captured nuts for the upper column bracket are in exactly the same place for both cutaway and non cutaway bulkheads.
Maybe the answer is the earlier steering column.
Paul
#14
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:09 pm
by abowie
From memory (distant) with my 1.5 there was an aluminium spacer used on the LHS which I removed.
Again, from distant memory I recall that it was pretty tight in there. The profile of the 2 areas is different L to R.
Sorry I can't be of more help but it was 4 years ago..
#15
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:10 pm
by PeterCrespin
1954Etype wrote:Pete, there is a difference in the 1.5 cars according to Andy at Hutsons. They have had the same issues IIRC.
I'll take that as gospel then Angus on the tubs, but what parts did Jaguar fit to make sure the tub wasn't a problem for RHD?
#16
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:13 pm
by 1954Etype
Not sure. If l remember, l'll ask Andy on Monday.
#17
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:29 pm
by 288gto
Could it be because of the change over to collapsible columns being initially for the American market? This is a 67 OTS lhd bulkhead, notice the squarer recess for the column where the spacer is......
Simon
#18
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:19 am
by johnj
Yes that looks exactly like my shell so you can see recess on LH side but Not one on RH side ,the pedal box area is different as well series 1 on the RH side and series 2 from factory on LH side so have to change the pedal area as well so I can fit the original LH pedals to the RH side if that all makes sence.
Thanks to all for the pics and help this is truely a great forum with many wise men out there your help is invaluable
cheers John
#19
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:03 am
by abowie
Again, from distant memory, I reckon I had to drill one or two holes. I vaguely remember having to tighten bolts inside the bulkhead.
#20
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:02 pm
by paulsco
The pedal box should swap across, although the pedals themselves will need heating up and bending or replacement for RHD units, as previously mentioned; see
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/849 ... HD%206.pdf
The LHD steering column housing has to be discarded and a new cowling and blanking plate purchased.
http://www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchRes ... no=BD19713
http://www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchRes ... no=BD19714
Paul