Page 1 of 1

#1 Under Dash Panel fixings

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:57 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Can anyone tell me what the correct fixings should be for the three under dash aluminium panels. Mine are held in with black pozi-drive self tappers and black fibre washers, which I'm sure aren't correct for a 1961 3.8.
All the usual suspects don't appear to list anything.

Cheers

Alan

#2

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 am
by Heuer
These are from our Factory Fit thread - an original unrestored 7,000 mile example:
Image
Image

#3

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Thanks for the images David.
It's not altogether clear but they look like slot headed self tappers with dished washers. Would that be your opinion as well?

Alan

#4

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 am
by Heuer
Every screw on the pre-1963 cars was slotted. So you need chrome or plated slotted self-tappers with dished washers, the same as those used everywhere else on the trim. In early 1963 Jaguar changed to screwdriver in the toolkit from fixed slotted blade to the double ended version as they started to use cross head screws in various locations.

#5

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
I've found this site:-

https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home ... s_120.html

They list number 4,6 & 8 sizes. Any idea which it should be. I think it may be No4 or 6.
I also see from the images that i'm missing the two hardura covered panels that tuck into the bottom of each panel. Having seen several E-Type footwells recently I think these are commonly missed panels. Until now I always thought it was a bit odd that Jaguar thought that these areas should be left bare. Every day's a school day as they say.

Alan

#6

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:29 pm
by Heuer
They screw into spire nuts on the brackets - so long as they match it does not really matter.

#7

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:54 pm
by neil4444
As I recall the drilled holes are quite a way inbound on the metal tabs so I needed large spire nuts to suit. This would have meant rather large screws but I squashed the spire nuts a little in a vice to enable me to use smaller screws.

#8

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:10 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
This is growing arms and legs. No such luxuries as brackets and spire nuts. Mine just screw into the metal under dash frame via some crudely drilled holes. I have long suspected that this was yet another bodge committed by a PO. Any chance someone can show me a picture of these brackets and spire nuts please.

Cheers

Alan

#9

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:20 pm
by neil4444
Hi Alan,

They're L shaped with one part of L spot welded to bulkhead & other part sticking forward & drilled / chamfered. Have a look at the underdash pictures on Chris's site here...

http://etype.chrisvine.com/2015/05/inte ... carpets-2/

HTH

#10

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:50 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Thanks Neil

That link was very useful indeed. I do remember seeing at least two of those brackets when I recovered the panels and for some reason never made the connection. It looks like I'll have to recover the panels again since the screw holes are in the wrong place. This is turning into another "right said Fred..." Job.

Alan