Page 1 of 1

#1 Series 1 Hardtop chrome

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:25 am
by Andrewfock
Hi all.

My factory hardtop is missing the chrome that runs along the front edge.

Is this the same as the chrome on the front of the soft top? (i.e. can I use a soft top one on the hard top)
Does anyone know how it attaches to the hard top?

Photos much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

#2 Re: Series 1 Hardtop chrome

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:06 pm
by Mikael B
Hi Andrew,
The front edge chrome is not the same on hard top and soft top. Soft top chrome is attached on the edge and edge on hard top is to thick.

I do not have any photos but the front chrome on the hard top is hold in place on small buttons(about 10) that are fastened by pop rivets.
Maybe your hard top has small holes on front towards the edge.
This also means that the chrome profile is different.

#3 Re: Series 1 Hardtop chrome

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:41 pm
by Andrewfock
Thanks Mike,

That's a shame! I was rather hoping that they may be the same. There are no holes on the leading edge of my hard top so I may have to just give up!

Andrew
thumb_IMG_2285_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2285_1024.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 10696 times

#4 Re: Series 1 Hardtop chrome

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:16 pm
by Heuer
CMC can supply the correct chrome trim, at a price.

#5 Re: Series 1 Hardtop chrome

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:35 am
by Andrewfock
Thanks,

I got the rear window chromes from them, very nicely made but as you say, at a significant price. Given that I would have to accurately drill the holes and find the mounting top hat devices .... and that it look OK the way it is I will probably wimp out and leave it alone...

As a matter of interest.... are the chrome flashes on the rear side of the hard top originally glued in place?
IMG_1362.jpeg
IMG_1362.jpeg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 10665 times
Thanks

Andrew