Hi Everyone
My car has suffered from an intermittent dragging clutch. It seems to occur when you are in a slow moving queue of traffic, which to my embarrassment usually occurs when entering car shows. Once the car has been standing for a short while the problem disappears. It never happens when driving at normal speeds.
The slave cylinder is the short stubby version with the return spring. I rebuilt this a couple of years ago, mainly to try and cure this problem and it seemed to work for a while.
Two questions:-is there any adjustment on the slave cylinder-I can't remember seeing any on the clutch release bearing lever.
and would fitting the longer slave cylinder possibly cure the dragging?
Cheers
Alan
Dragging Clutch
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#1 Dragging Clutch
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
- Posts: 3865
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#2 Re: Dragging Clutch
Alan, there is adjustment on the push rod of some slave cylinders, except for those with the hydrostatically operated slave. Pages E.7, E.28 of the manual should help. Not sure which one your's will be.
I recently put a new (longer as it's an S2) slave cylinder on and that seems to have solved my problems.
Geoff
I recently put a new (longer as it's an S2) slave cylinder on and that seems to have solved my problems.
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3 Re: Dragging Clutch
Hi Allen have a look here http://www.myetype.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9381
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#4 Re: Dragging Clutch
Steve
Thanks for the link. I remember reading this thread the first time around.
The dragging clutch was present right from the beginning of my ownership. I found out through the forum that my slave cylinder was the non hydrostatic version and that it didn't have the required external spring fitted. I rebuilt the unit and bought a new spring from SNG. This seemed to initially improve things but the dragging clutch returned after a time.
The pedal always feels ok even when this occurs which I find a bit odd since I expected some feedback. The noise happens when I lift off the clutch after changing gear. Is this when you would expect it to occur?
It's more difficult to diagnose since it only occurs occasionally-usually during multipe operations of the clutch over a short time.
Alan
Thanks for the link. I remember reading this thread the first time around.
The dragging clutch was present right from the beginning of my ownership. I found out through the forum that my slave cylinder was the non hydrostatic version and that it didn't have the required external spring fitted. I rebuilt the unit and bought a new spring from SNG. This seemed to initially improve things but the dragging clutch returned after a time.
The pedal always feels ok even when this occurs which I find a bit odd since I expected some feedback. The noise happens when I lift off the clutch after changing gear. Is this when you would expect it to occur?
It's more difficult to diagnose since it only occurs occasionally-usually during multipe operations of the clutch over a short time.
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5 Re: Dragging Clutch
Hi Allan...first step have you checked the adjustment as per the manual
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#6 Re: Dragging Clutch
Steve
I'm an Engineer by profession so using a manual or reading instructions is always a last resort. I'll have a look at it tonight and see what light it sheds on the subject.
Alan
I'm an Engineer by profession so using a manual or reading instructions is always a last resort. I'll have a look at it tonight and see what light it sheds on the subject.
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |


