Page 1 of 1

#1 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 pm
by Magnidec
Help !
Can anyone shed some light please
The rear 1/4 light frame on the fixed head is made of two parts. A horizontal "U" shape, and a vertical post behind the B post. Once the glass is inserted in the "U" shaped part, the vertical post is bolted to it with 2 screws top and two screws bottom.
Don't confuse these with the 2 screws that secure the B post to the body.....different type different size.
The ones joining the frame together are chrome, countersunk, maybe slightly dome headed and perhaps 10mm ish long. Also they aren't the same ones that hold the 1/4 light catch to the frame either... similar but too small.
They aren't listed in the Jaguar Spares Catalogue and Barratt's/ Martin Robey can't offer any advice as neither of their catalogues list them either
Struggling now.
Thanks in advance if you can advise.
Howard

#2 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:33 pm
by chrisfell
Barratts, today.

Quarter Light Pillar Screw
Product Code: BD4899/1

In stock, apparently.

#3 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:10 pm
by Magnidec
Hi Chris,
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately you're looking at the wrong screw.
The one you mention BD4899/1 is part of a 10 screw set (5 per side) which attaches.the hinge plate to the rear of the B post. The screws I'm after are solely to connect the vertical part of the 1/4 light frame to the curved part of the 1/4 light frame. They're not illustrated in anyone's catalogue (not even official JaguarSpares catalogue) and not mentioned ( as far as I can see) in Barratt's catalogue narrative either.
A real puzzle. I have a photo to explain but it's too high resolution to be accepted here. If I can reduce it on my desk top computer I'll post from there.
Thanks again for your help though.
Cheers
Howard

#4 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:49 pm
by mgcjag
Was searching for the 5 hinge screws recently and came across the ones your after....will try to search for them again

#5 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 pm
by Magnidec
Thanks Chris, but both Barratt's and Martin Robey have today confirmed neither stock them as there is no reference number for them, or even know what to suggest. There appears to be a few specialist nut/bolts companies who would probably sell them (see other adjacent forum posts) but I don't really know the length/dia/head shape etc etc
Pic shows B post top fixings and vertical frame which joins to curved frame. 2 bolts top and 2 bolts bottom. These are the fixings I'm after.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (195.67 KiB) Viewed 8957 times

#6 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 pm
by mgcjag
As a last resort you could recut the thread and use a metric stainless countersunk screw they only need to be as long as the thread depth

#7 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:47 am
by Simonpfhc
Hi Howard,

I'm just sbout to re-assemble the qtr-lights on mine. These are the screws you are referring to:

Image

Let me know if ypu need measurements, but you should be able to get a good idea from the picture that they are particularly shallow.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

#8 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:39 am
by Magnidec
Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions.
I think I may have it sussed now.After the last reply from Simon I rushed out into the garage to see if the small screws that hold the hinge plate (5 per side) would indeed fit the 1/4 light frame together. Sadly no !
Ok. So now I've taken photos of my existing screws that hold the hinge plates on. These are short dome heads as in Simon's photo I believe. I only have 7 hence my purchase of 3 new ones part noBD4899/1. Quite simply theses are NOT the same screws.
The seven screws I have now removed from the hinge plates and they fit in the 1/4 light frame perfectly. These I think are the same as Simon's photo. I NOW NEED ONE MORE - PROBLEM.
I can now buy a full set of 10 no. BD4899/1 screws for the hinge plates. Clearly these are not interchangeable. The old dome heads will fit in both the hinge plates and window frames. The new screws will fit the hinge plates but are too short to fit the window frames. Old dome heads are just over 4mm thread length but new flat heads are barely
3mm long.
If anyone has just one dome head 4mm long screw going begging ???
Thanks guys for all your help

#9 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:41 am
by PeterCrespin
Suspect they may be BA thread and a vintage electrical dealer might have something you could chrome?

#10 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 am
by mgcjag
Hi....the thread on tbe 5 for the hinge plate are 8-36unf so suspect that the ones you want may be unf.....why do you mention dome head...Simons photo show flat countersunk

#11 Re: 3.8 FHC E Type. Fixing screws

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:18 pm
by Magnidec
Hi All,
Here's a photo I just took of the screws.
The two on the left are the existing dome head ones which were in the hinge plates, but also fit the window frames.
The two on the right are the new Barratt's ones BD4899/1 which only fit in the hinge plates and not the window frames.
Barratt's are flat heads and short. Originals (which apparently nobody stocks) are dome heads and a little longer.
I think I'm sorted now, so thanks everyone for your assistance.
Cheers
Howard