Plexiglass Headlight covers
#1 Plexiglass Headlight covers
I recall some chat about the various types of plexiglass covers or acrylic covers for the headlights but wondered what the latest thinking on these is. I find my new headlight glasses will not fit my new bonnet, there is a surprise. So do I cheat and go for the perspex type covers and if so which ones and are they flexible making fitting easier?
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
I have them on my OTS (as does Angus), in fact they have been there for 17 years and still look great. They are flexible so fit very easily and are also lighter. Mark Clapp can supply them - follow one of the links at the bottom of this page. The links appear automagically thanks to the new Forum software; basically it searches for the top 5 threads that match the current one.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
You may need to tweak the hinges on the bonnet....not sure how to alter the spring tension though. My car has std glass covers. I took them off to clean the scoops etc. With the weight of the glass removed the bonnet gently shut once opened. Once the glass was back in normality returned and the bonnet remained up once opened...a delicate balancing act..
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
well you would not think the balance would be altered by the glasses, well I suppose you can understand it now you have pointed it out. I cannot decide to be honest. I would prefer glass in there if it will fit, but goodness knows how long it will take me to get the glass seated ok. Why oh why don't Jaguar Heritage do a proper job of making these bonnets. There really is no excuse, I mean they are not cheap are they?
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
There should be no problem with bonnet balance with the plexi covers fitted. I regularly take the glass covers off my FHC and the bonnet stays up. Angus, I and the numerous other people who have fitted these have reported any issue with the plexi. It is not only the bonnets that may be a different shape - the reproduction glasses are also problematic, particularly the off side ones. If the car is painted you will have a hell of a job getting them to fit!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
thanks David. The bonnet is not painted yet. Trouble is its waiting to be painted and this is holding up proceedings. If I could get a set of these overnight I could try to see how the work on MY bonnet. I still have not heard back from the supplier, Mike Clapp from memory? ummh 
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
My bonnet must be well oiled as removing the glass definitely affects the balance. Not by much but enough that it gradually closes.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
Excellent. In this case take your headlight glasses and your chrome rings to your panel shop and get them to modify the bonnet until they fit correctly. While you're at it get them to fit your chromework properly too.andrewh wrote:thanks David. The bonnet is not painted yet. ummh
We do this routinely with all our restorations.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
bitsobrits
- Posts: 596
- Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 am
- Location: Omaha, NE area

#9 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
If the weight of the headlamp cover glass is enough to keep your bonnet open, then your bonnet support springs need renewed. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to fit. Will make a considerable difference in keeping the bonnet open, especially on mild slopes and in the wind.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
Cheers Steve...will get new springs 
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Mark Clapp
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm
- Location: Kansas City, Missouri U.S.A.

#11 Re: Plexiglass Headlight covers
Hi Guys and Gals,
I know that the plastic headlight covers are significantly lighter than the glass pieces but agree that if the weight difference affects the bonnet staying up while opened, then the springs are on the edge of their life and should be replaced.
I speak with many restoration shops that say they very rarely run across an unmolested bonnet that is not misshapen so achieving a good fit with OE glass and especially aftermarket glass is difficult. The plastic I use is pretty pliable and easily form fits to the body when fastened down. This makes seating the trim rings properly all around a short job and would be less expensive than having a panel shop modify the bonnet and/or rings for a good fit to the body. Please feel free to email me at: mclapp5526@gmail.com or call anytime at: 816-286-6982 for any additional questions on the particular plastic material I use and also see the thread in the Upgrades section of the Forum.
Thanks,
Mark Clapp
I know that the plastic headlight covers are significantly lighter than the glass pieces but agree that if the weight difference affects the bonnet staying up while opened, then the springs are on the edge of their life and should be replaced.
I speak with many restoration shops that say they very rarely run across an unmolested bonnet that is not misshapen so achieving a good fit with OE glass and especially aftermarket glass is difficult. The plastic I use is pretty pliable and easily form fits to the body when fastened down. This makes seating the trim rings properly all around a short job and would be less expensive than having a panel shop modify the bonnet and/or rings for a good fit to the body. Please feel free to email me at: mclapp5526@gmail.com or call anytime at: 816-286-6982 for any additional questions on the particular plastic material I use and also see the thread in the Upgrades section of the Forum.
Thanks,
Mark Clapp
Thanks,
Mark Clapp
Mark Clapp
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




