Rev counter issue

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
1970BRG
Great Britain

#1 Rev counter issue

Post by 1970BRG » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:49 pm

Hi All,

Hope someone can help, I had a 123 ignition fitted to my S2 1970, initially all was well then after a while the Rev counter stopped working. Speedy cables say the original Rev counter is not compatible with electronic ignition, they can repair but it comes with different wiring circuit, see there message below.

These rev counters are not compatible with any type of electronic ignition systems or sports coils if they have been fitted to the vehicle, but we are able to upgrade them so that they are compatible (there would be a small change to the wiring but full instructions will be given

Anybody had this issue?

I was running electronic points with sports coil for a long time before the update with no problem?

Thanks
Mark
Mark

1970 S2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by Gfhug » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:41 pm

Mark the issue with the tacho is a known though Speedy’s comment may be a bit general. I guess it could be a need for a consistent, strong signal needed to drive the older tacho.
Search on here for Spiyda and you’ll see how people have gone to them for an electronic upgrade, either diy or send to them as you would with Speedy. Hope this helps.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by mgcjag » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi Mark have you taken the power for your 123 from the coil....if so try a direct feed from the ignition....this could sort your problem. ....there are 2 types of rec counter RVI & RVC........tiny print on the revcounter face will show what you have....then search here on rvi or rvc......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1970BRG
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by 1970BRG » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:23 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I've looked at the Spiyda option and I think I'll go this route as I have an RVI rev counter.
Geoff, what did you do for the input wire from the Coilnegative?

Thanks again

Mark
Mark

1970 S2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by Gfhug » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:43 pm

Mark, I’m away from home and the car. I’ll need to check when home and leave myself a reminder to remind myself to remember to check.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1970BRG
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by 1970BRG » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:35 pm

OK Thanks
Mark

1970 S2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by Gfhug » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Mark, as my tacho was sent to Spiyda for modification it came back fully wired up. The wires are deliberately long enough to get to the coil and elsewhere. There is a yellow wire from the tacho which attaches to the negative on the coil. If you’re doing the modification yourself then I guess they’ll send long enough wires as needed, but specify what it’s for to help them get it all correct. Hope that helps.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1970BRG
Great Britain

#8 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by 1970BRG » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:28 pm

Thanks Geoff
I have receieved the conversion and hope to fit in the next couple of weeks, once I've done a few other jobs.
Then I'll report back on the install

Mark
Mark

1970 S2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by JerryL770 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:51 am

While you are fitting the Spiyda unit, check for excess end float in the spindle shaft. There is a brass collar around the spindle under the needle end with slots in. This is the adjuster for the spindle end float. If there is too much end float, the whole shaft and the balance weights can move such that it contacts the fixed body of the tacho and the needle stops rotating. This happens as you accelerate and then as soon as you lift off the gas, the tacho needle jumps up to the correct reading. This problem baffled me until I found this info.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1970BRG
Great Britain

#10 Re: Rev counter issue

Post by 1970BRG » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help, I fitted the Spiyda unit into the rev counter no problem and wired using the original connector. I had a bit of trouble with the calibration, might have been the app I was using, but I realised that Spiyda are 30 mins down the road from me, so gave them a call popped in and the guy did the calibration there and then, also adjusted the needle balance, nice chap very helpful.
I fitted the gauge using the original connector, I disconnected one supply cable, leaving the green supply and changed the white cable from the coil+ to become the coil- feed (2 cables green and white in connector), then used the supply to the fan relay to supply the coil +. This avoided running any new cables from the dash to the coil.
All now working as should
Mark

1970 S2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic